Mixing under a slanted ceiling?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Mixing under a slanted ceiling?

Post by sporkles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Does anyone have any experience with or tips for mixing in a loft room with a slanted ceiling? It’s relatively spacious and carpeted, so it’s not too reflective, but I don’t know where to face my monitors. Would it be better to face them towards one of the sides with the slanted ceiling (long ends) or should I face them towards the wall (short ends, one has a door and one has a window)? One of the long ends has almost no wall (the ceiling extends almost all the way to the floor) whereas the opposite side has a wall of 180 centimetres.

fishmonkey

Re: Mixing under a slanted ceiling?

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:18 pm

i'm finding it hard to visualise your space from your description (a diagram would help)...

is the ceiling one continuous slant or an upside-down vee, and what are the dimensions?

in odd shaped rooms mode calculators don't work so well, so i personally i would set my monitoring up in alternative locations and measure the results.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Yeah, upside-down V is correct; the room is almost square, but has a non-loadbearing wall inserted on the left hand side to create a small storage space behind it.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:37 am

sporkles wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:57 pm
Does anyone have any experience with or tips for mixing in a loft room with a slanted ceiling? It’s relatively spacious and carpeted, so it’s not too reflective, but I don’t know where to face my monitors. Would it be better to face them towards one of the sides with the slanted ceiling (long ends) or should I face them towards the wall (short ends, one has a door and one has a window)? One of the long ends has almost no wall (the ceiling extends almost all the way to the floor) whereas the opposite side has a wall of 180 centimetres.

You might want to email gik acoustics. They did a free room analysis for me. It is all to sell you their recommend solutions but they probably will offer advice on speaker placement as well. They gave me tips on my speaker placement.

Take pictures of your room and draw it out as best you can and send to them.

Also a crude test you can do in Ableton is to use its CPU use simulator. It plays a sine wave and it allows you to adjust the frequency. What you want to do is turn the frequency down to like 40hz (or wherever your speakers lowest frequency is spec'd at) and sweep up to 300hz. As you raise the frequency any perceived increase/decrease in frequency could be a your rooms effect on bass response. It should ideally be flat. listen on headphones as well to compare. Those will usually be much flatter. You will most likely hear peaks and nulls. The idea is to eliminate those. A handclap test helps with higher frequencies but the sine sweep really helps you learn what your room is really doing to your bass and where your problem areas could be on the low end.