my audio sometimes cuts out and then makes a very loud sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
danny klim

my audio sometimes cuts out and then makes a very loud sound

Post by danny klim » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi, I’m trying to fix an issue where my audio sometimes cuts out and then makes a very loud sound that hurts ears, can you please help?

Every once in a while, the audio will completely cut out for about 10-20 seconds and then make a very loud popping noise before it starts working again. I don’t understand why this is happening, the audio and everything in Ableton seems to be working perfectly fine for a long time before it happens, and then it continues to work perfectly fine right after it happens. I never notice any issues or signals that something is about to mess up in the app or computer or audio before the audio cuts off.

The silence always lasts for about the same amount of time and makes the same kind of big noise at the end. I haven’t noticed any patterns that cause it- it seems to happen randomly and independently of what I’m doing- it usually just happens when I’m in the middle of playing guitar or something. It seems to cut off all audio- it makes it so that the microphones do not work It also stops all sound from being created from any loops or midi instruments.

I’m not sure where to start to fix this issue. It seems like its most likely Ableton because that is where all of my audio on the computer is routed through but I suppose that the issue could be happening with the audio interface or something else. It doesn’t happen very often, at most its happened once or twice an hour and often doesn’t happen for many hours/days.

Below is a link to a live stream when it happened twice within about 20 minutes- the issue occured at 33:24 and 54:00 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2_0AUSGbUc

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Is there anything I should test or check or troubleshoot?

Is Ableton causing this, or if not, what else might be causing it?

Thanks,
Dan

Tarekith

Re: my audio sometimes cuts out and then makes a very loud sound

Post by Tarekith » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:23 pm

Sounds like a driver or sound card issue to me, you using the latest drivers?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:41 am

Might help to know what your system is, audio interface model (and what driver you are using) and what your screen streaming/recording software is.

Also check if you may have something on your master channel that could cause this issue. When the problem occurs you need to also take note of what is still working (IE, when you have no sound output do you still see the meters in Live working or are they frozen

It sounds like something is dropping out then coming back with a large buffered burst of noise. Hard to say what it is but does sound a bit like the drivers or audio interface just disconnecting for a moment and does not appear to be a load related problem.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

when it happens @ 54 minutes in to your video, Live has even recorded the noise burst, so it's very likely to be an audio interface (hardware or driver) problem. another possibility is something funky going on with your streaming setup, but it's impossible to say without any information about your system or how you have things routed...