Ableton - Make my MIDI sequence monophonic

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
k_ableton

Ableton - Make my MIDI sequence monophonic

Post by k_ableton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello
Hope you can help.

I have a MIDI sequence where at times two or more notes are playing at the same time, but I'm feeding it into a monophonic synth (hardware).
I would like to make this sequence monophonic, meaning, if two notes are playing at the same time, I would like Ableton to only select either the highest or the lowest note to play (selectable option).

It seems like this should be super-easy with some existing Ableton or Max plugin but I've searched far and wide and didn't find anything.
Thanks

doghouse

Re: Ableton - Make my MIDI sequence monophonic

Post by doghouse » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Um, the receiving hardware device already has either a fixed algorithm for which note gets priority when two overlap or can be set to choose between high-note, low-note, last-note, etc. priority. Read the manual.

This is how MIDI is supposed to work...the receiving device always chooses how to respond to ALL messages whether they are notes, controllers, sysex, etc.

If the device has a fixed priority algorithm that you don't like, then edit your sequences to remove the overlaps. For clips, you can use the Notes Box to simplify this (p. 148 in the Live 10 manual). Quantizing can also be used. If this is still too complex, I suppose something can be done in M4L but you should just try the above first.