Changing position in a song in session view

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dezza1

Changing position in a song in session view

Post by Dezza1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:35 pm

How do you change position in a song being played in session view.

S4racen

Re: Changing position in a song in session view

Post by S4racen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Launch a different scene....

Cheers
D

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:30 pm

I'm wanting to work out where the end of the loop is - could be say the end of a verse - so that I can match part of the song that follows - say a chorus.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 am

Dezza1 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:30 pm
I'm wanting to work out where the end of the loop is - could be say the end of a verse - so that I can match part of the song that follows - say a chorus.

Manual is useful:
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/session-view/

This:
The pie-chart icon in a clip track represents a looping Session clip (see 8.2.2). The number to the right of the circle is the loop length in beats, and the number at the left represents how many times the loop has been played since its launch. A pie-chart without numbers appears in the Track Status field for a Group Track if at least one clip in a contained track is currently playing.
Unless I misunderstand the question, in that case we need more information

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:07 am

First post gives the question. Recent post explains what I'm doing.

In arrangement view you click on a position in the song, click the play button and the position changes to the new position. Is there a similar thing in session view?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:14 am

no

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:27 am

Fast coming to the conclusion that Ableton is not really the software for me. Often get the melody of verses and choruses dovetailing into one another so it is not just simply a matter of finishing at the end of a bar. Doesn't look like you can trigger a loop part way through a bar from a Launchpad.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am

You haven't really spent any time with it to come to that conclusion, legato set on your clips will bring the loop in at any point but in sync with the previously playing loop in the track, eg. a loop is half way through and you trigger the one below set to legato and it'll start from half way through.

Best regards
D

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:17 am

Would you record such a song in session view of arrangement view.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm

select let say your 'verse' in the arrangement window -right click- and choose 'consolidate to new scene'
then your verse is converted to a scene in the session window.....keep it ordered by renaming the scene to 'verse'

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:15 am

In arrangement view if you click on a position in the track and then click the play button the position of the song is changed to that location. This is not possible in session view.

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:41 am

JAMM wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:19 pm
select let say your 'verse' in the arrangement window -right click- and choose 'consolidate to new scene'
then your verse is converted to a scene in the session window.....keep it ordered by renaming the scene to 'verse'
I don't see the point of recording in an arrangement view with the intent of copying the clip to a session view. I don't see the point of the extra complication for what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to create a song sound track. The backing tracks will end up in the arrangement view. I could create the various parts of the song in session view and then write them to the arrangement view. Actually, I tried this but found it to be a lot of messing around. Also, if you change one of the recordings in session view you then have to copy this to the various locations in the arrangement view unless you've linked it at the start which is another complication.

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:49 am

S4racen wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am
You haven't really spent any time with it to come to that conclusion, legato set on your clips will bring the loop in at any point but in sync with the previously playing loop in the track, eg. a loop is half way through and you trigger the one below set to legato and it'll start from half way through.

Best regards
D
See my post above. Again I don't see any point in going to all this bother trying to merge song parts in session view in order to create an arrangement view. Much easier just to create it directly in arrangement view.

gbert

Post by gbert » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:19 pm

Sounds like you want to work out the song in session view and then create it in arrangement view. That's similar to my use case. One important setting for this is the Quantization setting. Set it to 4 or 8 bars. That makes life easier for two reasons. First is that your session view clips will end up being some multiple of 4 or 8 bars. If you set it to something smaller, then you will likely end up spending time trimming the clips manually after recording to get to the typical 4/8/16 bar lengths. It also helps with triggering clips/scenes in session view while auditioning your song. By setting it to something longer like 4 or 8 bars, the next scene won't be triggered until the full 4 or 8 bar prior set of clips has been played. Otherwise if it is set to something smaller then the next clip will likely start playing in the middle of the intended previous set of clips. This is assuming the previous set of clips are intended to be 4 or 8 bars long (which is much more likely in a song than them being only 1 bar long, etc.).

To get from session to arrangement you need to click and hold on the clips desired in session view while simultaneously pressing tab to switch to arrangement view. Then drop them where you want them. You can select more than one, so you could select all clips of a scene across each track and drag/drop them at the same position to each track in arrangement view.

Unfortunately it seems there is no way to link them, such that changes made in either session or arrangement view are carried over to the other view. And changes made to clips in one part of the song in arrangement view will not apply to the same clip in another part of the song. You can however manually copy/paste the clip from arrangement view back into session view if you make any changes there. Still, it isn't linked automatically.

Some kind of linking would really be helpful when using session view as the means for composing a song. FL Studio does this conceptually with its Patterns. Any changes made to the pattern applies everywhere that pattern is applied in the song arrangement.

There is a max4live device for sale that links the clips. I haven't tried it, but looks like this would work. Would be nice if linking was built in directly as a clip property instead.
http://jgarcia.hungry.jp/project/alias-clips/

Dezza1

Post by Dezza1 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:24 am

Thanks for that gbert.

One of the work flows I tried was recording verses, choruses etc in a song in session view. I understand that if you record the tracks from session view into arrangement view it links the clips in both views and the arrangement view will then update automatically when changed in the session view. I was actually working toward that when I hit the problems highlighted above. i.e. changing position of a song in session view and dealing with situations where you have vocals overlapping between various parts of the song.

Session view looks more like a looping tool which usually has a clear distinction between each loop.