automating the repitching of many pieces of audio - using automator, a script, ableton or something else?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deus_ex

automating the repitching of many pieces of audio - using automator, a script, ableton or something else?

Post by deus_ex » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 am

wall of text and very specific project here. bear with me...

i have a project coming up. it involves pitching whole pieces of audio by complete semitones.

i've saved a little bit of work by working out the new bpm after shifting by x semitones with a python script. here's the output:
mfs-MacBook-Pro:~ mf$ python pitchtime.py 168.5
-1 semitones is 159.043 bpm
-2 semitones is 150.116 bpm
-3 semitones is 141.691 bpm
-4 semitones is 133.739 bpm
-5 semitones is 126.232 bpm
-6 semitones is 119.147 bpm

but to do the below process over and over again requires so much time. and it's a repetative action, so why don't i just automate it?
here's the workflow:

:) dictates doable
:( currently not so possible
:s not sure

open ableton :)
open terminal :)

for tracks in "to pitch" folder {
drag audio in to ableton :)
check bpm of audio :(
add bpm to python semitone script and run :s
for results (r) in pitchtime script {
change master BPM to r :)
export audio with correct file name and repitch info :)
}
}

so as you can see it's fairly methodical, would respond super well to automating with apple's automator. but there's a problem here - the field which displays the BPM of the audio isn't selectable - meaning i can't copy this to paste in to my script to calculate the required change in BPM.

so i'm looking for tips here -
the best way to copy the tempo of a piece of audio in ableton. is there a way to set the master tempo to a dragged in piece of audio i wonder?
the best way to adjust the speed of a piece of audio thus it's tempo causes whole semitone shifts
general ableton / automator tips!

i'm open to using another program too - in fact that might be easier. but it must have a repitch transposition function similar to ableton.

if anyone knows how to do it purely in code or max that would be ideal. because then i'd learn something new too. but i need the best quality repitching out there!

deus_ex

Re: automating the repitching of many pieces of audio - using automator, a script, ableton or something else?

Post by deus_ex » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:49 am

i can get the project tempo to match the clip tempo by making the clip the master. however the master tempo is not selectable or able to be copied.

deus_ex

Re: automating the repitching of many pieces of audio - using automator, a script, ableton or something else?

Post by deus_ex » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:41 pm

i can get a clipboarded tempo from rekordbox. but i've come a cropped - live's master tempo box doesn't allow pasting of values!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:49 pm

It’s challenging for me to get an idea of what you do and do not want for behavior of the clips and how many you intend to launch simultaneously and how they’re supposed to interact either with each other or with something musical you intend to be doing. Also not sure if these are one shots or warped or synced or anything like that.

But I think a possibility might be to name clips with their original bpm within them. Then maybe, ‘maybe’, you can use the clip name and reference that with either a max for live or clyphx project where some math is quickly done and they can update the global tempo as needed.

deus_ex

Post by deus_ex » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:53 pm

ok, i'm a little bit further forward now. only i've stumbled in to albeton's limitation here - i can't paste a value in to the global tempo box...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Maybe you can paste into a Max for Live window that sets the tempo?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:25 am

what operating system do you use?

some batch editors will do what you want without all the jumping through flaming hoops (don't get me wrong, hoop jumping can be fun and educational).

for example, on MacOS Myriad can do what you want out of the box...

edit: it looks like Aurchitect (the myriad developer) has vanished from cyberspace...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Yes, at the moment it's impossible to download or authorize any Aurchitect apps. :(