Ableton manual and changing from PT

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
TonyReed

Ableton manual and changing from PT

Post by TonyReed » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 am

After years of pro tools i have switched to Ableton. Its quite different in its workflows and generally I find in a good way. Whats not good is the manual. PT manual is far far better. A few of the videos are OK but are generally at a too basic level to be much use. Don't know if there is any thing anywhere that is better or is the general view to just work it out yourself?
None the less I think the program is less cumbersome to use and has some really nice features.
Cheers Tony

ShelLuser

Re: Ableton manual and changing from PT

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 am

What manual are you referring to exactly? And also: what exactly is it which you don't like?

See: you mention video's but the official manual doesn't have any, so now I'm wondering if you're referring to any in-program stuff which probably redirects you to some vague online stuff (not really vague of course, but I refer to it as such because it's not the "real" manual in my opinion).

On Windows 10:
  • Open the start menu, find the Ableton Live entry and right click on it; select 'More' and "Open file location".
  • This should open the file Explorer with the Windows start menu. Right click again and select "Open file location" (again :wink:).
  • Now you'll end up in the actual program folder. Of course you could also browse to c:\program files\ableton or wherever you installed Live.
  • Make sure you're in the main program folder; you'll see several sub folders amongst which 'Docs', open it.
  • Here you'll find the official Live manual, and in several languages I might add.
Now, I have to agree with you that this isn't great. For example I'm really missing out on in-document links which I can click so that I can easily navigate to a specific section; instead of clicking on a section in the index I have to manually enter a page number. However it does provide some very good (and general) information about Live.

It explains the the session & arrangement mode, details about Live's Live sets and it even explains things like REX mode (which is a big thing for me because I'm also a die-hard Reason user) on page 100 and if you enjoy drum racks you should really check out page 294 which explains all there is to know about 'm, including the option to use in-rack send effects.

Hope this can help!
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:03 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 am
On Windows 10:

Open the start menu, f...
...uck, how complicated. Just open the pdf straight through Live's help menu.
ShelLuser wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 am
For example I'm really missing out on in-document links which I can click so that I can easily navigate to a specific section; instead of clicking on a section in the index I have to manually enter a page number.
Well, it contains pdf bookmarks, linked in-document cross references, the TOC is linked to targets, and in the index the actual page numbers (not the text entries though) are linked.

And the current version of the manual is online in three languages (German, English and Japanese) as well: Check out the manual, to switch language, use the dropdown at the bottom of the page.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:46 am

chrk wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:03 am
And the current version of the manual is online in three languages (German, English and Japanese) as well:
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish you mean :mrgreen:

This is why it's often quite useful not to rely on fluffy and easy pre-made functions but do the hard work yourself.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:23 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:46 am
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Spanish you mean :mrgreen:
That's the pdf downloads - same languages you can choose for Live's UI (Look and Feel Preferences), and the built in link in the help menu opens the correspondig pdf.

I'm talking about the language chooser for the website further down.

TonyReed

Post by TonyReed » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:43 am

Thanks for all of that. I probably should have said that Im using a Mac so there is no program folder. Either way the manual I was referring to is the one that is accessed through the On line Help. Its just not particularly detailed and doesn't cover all the commands that are in the menu. Having said that Im really only using it to record music - I don't use all the live stuff - beats etc. So I can more or less work it out. Cheers

zsazsa

Post by zsazsa » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi Tony, Welcome!

You can open the manual from the menu in Live:
Help -> Read the Live Manual

You can probably open it from Finder as a pdf as well, but I don't have a Mac so can't tell you where it is located.

Also on the left bottom edge of the screen in Live, there is an arrow, when you click it you get Info View in the box bottom left with description of any Live button, slider, etc, also from the FX and instruments.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:30 am

I have to say as someone that reads and writes manuals, the live manual is pretty good IMO. I have never read Pro Tools to compare but I have managed to learn a lot from the manual and have mostly found everything I have needed to ever find.

One thing I always do is copy the PDF manual onto my phone so when I have moments where I am bored I can flip through some sections where I may lack some understanding in some areas or just refresh some things I may have forgotten.

Otherwise, Google is a pretty good manual if you have a specific query.

I guess to be of much more help we would need to know what examples you have where the Live manual fails to detail things in enough detail.

gbert

Post by gbert » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:21 am

I have found that the Live manual overall is quite good. Perhaps it could use a very basic getting started type of section for beginners. But otherwise as a reference manual I’ve been happy with it. There are some omissions here and there, which have been highlighted on this forum. Fortunately those are rare.

I like it a lot more than the Cubase manual. The online version of that manual is pitiful IMO. Some searches take you to subsections which only contain a couple of sentences introducing a chapter. I also like it quite a bit more than the FL Studio manual. Lots of text there, but much of it is missing context.

However, now I’m interested in seeing what the Pro Tools manual looks like!