Rec delayed using ERM Multiclock (Is that to be expected?)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leandro

Rec delayed using ERM Multiclock (Is that to be expected?)

Post by leandro » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:12 pm

I recently bought an ERM multiclock to avoid jitter and lag when recording external gear, but I´m experiencing a strange behavior. This is what I´m doing:

1- Use the "external instrument" effect of Ableton on a dedicated track containing the MultiClock plugin. (I´ve also tried not using the external instrument)

2- Sync the metronome from Ableton to a kick from Octatrack (or whatever external gear, same thing)

3- Record the OT kick into an empty track (using monitoring OFF so I don´t get any delay compensation)

4- When I play the recorded kick in Ableton, it´s not in sync with the kick coming out from from Octatrack. I always have to delay the OT futher +4ms to get it in sync with the recorded one (so it means that ableton is recording the kick 4ms too late).

Is this normal? Should I expect this to happen? Any ideas on how to improve it?

I´ve been reading this, but hadn´t got any luck so far: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=195180

Thanks!
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

leandro

Re: Rec delayed using ERM Multiclock (Is that to be expected?)

Post by leandro » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:32 am

Solved.
The answer was at the end of the article mentioned above: Driver error compensation.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 am

You might find that this above linked method is not the answer to your particular issue.

Live, when using an external clock, will deactivate all latency compensation. For a quick visual example a when EXT is active (external clock indicator) all the usual manual track delay/offsets are deactivated. Pressing the little "d" to the right of the master fader is not possible when external clock is active. Just as a small example. Also things like automatic plugin delay compensation, clock offsets and offsets in the External instrument and External Effects devices, are all deactivated when an external clock is used.

You might hope I am about to give the solution to this glaring error. If I had one this would certainly be the place I'd put it.

leandro

Post by leandro » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:03 am

Sorry, I should have mentioned on my first post that i´m using AL as the master clock, its not slaved to MC.
That´s the purpose of using a tool like ERM Multiclock or USAMO: using the DAW as the master but rather than sending clock through midi or usb, they use audio.
So, I just had to set a driver error compensation of 3,6 ms and now its working.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Aha. You will be ok then.
That's what I do, AL as the master. It's a bit of a pain but it's the only available option.

I misunderstood and thought the external clock was the master.