Input 1/2 Reverb

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
raxel34

Input 1/2 Reverb

Post by raxel34 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:52 am

Hey everyone,

I am completely new to all this audio recording but am trying to learn this Focusrite Ableton Live 10 for voiceovers.

I was messing around with the reverb one day and apparently I must've saved some settings because now when I go to record on Input 1/2 there is reverb when I hear myself on the headphones speaking into the mic, but when I play back the recording, it is fine (no reverb).

Please help!!

Much appreciated.

TLW

Re: Input 1/2 Reverb

Post by TLW » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:31 pm

I suspect what you are hearing is caused by your audio driver settings in Live.

Check what buffer size the Focusrite is set to in Live’s audio preferences. A large buffer might help with stability and avoiding crackling and audio dropouts if the computer can’t fill the buffer fast enough, but a large buffer also results in a noticeable amount of latency between incoming audio and outgoing when monitoring through audio tracks in any DAW. The result can sound like a reverb or a delay effect.

The trick is to find a buffer setting you can work with that also keeps things stable. Generally speaking a combined input and output buffer of around 10 milliseconds or less is OK for most people. There’s no need to try and get the lowest possible latency if you can work with a higher one - all that does is increase the load on the system for no purpose.

An alternative is not to monitor through Live but to use the interface’s built-in mixer to control monitoring so you hear what goes into it almost instantly. The downside is that you won’t hear any processing Live is doing to the audio,. which may or may not matter depending on what you are doing and your personal workflow.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

raxel34

Post by raxel34 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Awesome, thanks for replying.
I will check that stuff.
Here’s the thing, I believe this may be simpler than I explained.
I just can’t figure out know to turn off all reverb. The delay and chorus turn off but the reverb doesn’t.
It happens on all 4 inputs on the Focusrite.
When you double click the reverb box, I know to click that button to deactivate it, but it’s still there.

Any ideas?

siehorst

Post by siehorst » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:40 am

Are you sure that you hear a reverb and not a short delay? If so it may be a latency story between direct out of your interface and live out.
horst

raxel34

Post by raxel34 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 am

I have no idea. How would I figure that out?
Is that what the ^ above person was saying?

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 am

Yes, that’s exactly what I was saying.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

siehorst

Post by siehorst » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:14 pm

raxel34 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 am
How would I figure that out?
If you connect your headphone to the interface you can tell the interface which signal is to be heard:
- the direct signal routed from the input direct to the hedaphone without taking a way through the computer
and / or / mixed
- the signal that is processed by live ... what takes a bit time.
If you listen to both, you will hear the direct earlier signal first followed by the bit slower one.
You have to aks the manual of your interface for that.
horst