Ableton/Reason Users Help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sidesword

Ableton/Reason Users Help

Post by sidesword » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm

- Got Cash for only one DAW - Ableton EDU or Reason.
- Used The Trials for both DAWS and I'm unsure which to get as I loved them both.
- Anybody here that switched from reason to ableton and why? or vice versa.

Thanks.

gross9978

Re: Ableton/Reason Users Help

Post by gross9978 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:46 pm

I use both, but if I could only get one it would be Ableton. The workflow for me is 1000 times better and more efficient. Everything is quick and makes since to me. Combined with max for live I’ve been able to do anything I’ve thought of in Ableton. I use Reason pretty frequently but I always use it rewired to Ableton. That said Reason is tons of fun in its own way so it’s really whichever you get along with the most, I don’t think either would be a bad purchase. If you buy reason now you’d be getting reason11 on the 25th, which can be used as a VST3 in Ableton or any daw so there’s that as well.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:06 am

sidesword wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:22 pm
- Got Cash for only one DAW - Ableton EDU or Reason.
- Used The Trials for both DAWS and I'm unsure which to get as I loved them both.
- Anybody here that switched from reason to ableton and why? or vice versa.

Thanks.
I use both.

Overall I like Ableton better. More streamlined workflow.

Ableton's biggest issues (compared to Reason) are:

1. Expensive (one of the most expensive DAWS)

2. No Comping

3. No Pitch correction

4. Included sound library not as good as Reason. (Ableton has made strides though. Beat tools is a damn good pack and the Orchestral pack is pretty decent. Ableton has good synths but so does Reason and Reason has better presets for their synths. Reason synths are simpler (except for Thor)

Reason for $399 gets you much more inspiring sounds and cheaper options for getting more sounds. That said I think overall though Ableton has better Samplers and more user friendly Warping, loop manipulation and Drum options.

Ableton IMO I would want some better VSTis to pair it with, although Wavetable is a pretty dope synth but Europa is great too, and so is Grain, Thor, Subtractor, and Malstrom. What I enjoy most about Reason synths are their user friendliness and tweak ability. That said Wavetable is great. Operator is great too but it isnt as friendly as a Reason synth.

I tend to like Ableton's direction more as a company. Ableton has less frequent but more expensive upgrades, but every update is big and usually not too controversial. Both companies do good with minor releases but I think Ableton does more on their minor releases. Some of their minor releases seem bigger than major releases.

Reasons major releases can be a source of frustration as they are often highly focused in just one area with little improvement in other areas. Ableton manages to tweak their GUI each upgrade and does it to a point that it feels like it has always been there.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 am

switched from reason to ableton mainly for the 'session' window workflow and also overall better workflow.
At the time off switching 15 years ago reason didn't,t have audio sequencing but then i also didn't,t like the hundreds of 'cables' in reason.
Nice gimmick in the beginning but irritating in big projects. But i loves some devices in reason.

I advise you to buy ableton standard and then buy reason intro (79 euro) and use it as a plug-in in ableton.
With reason intro you get a collecting off great devices so together with ableton a nice combination.