Ableton freezing randomly while playing live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ahuffman24

Ableton freezing randomly while playing live

Post by ahuffman24 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:20 am

Hi,

I am using Ableton Live 10 on a Dell Inspiron. I have pads triggered to play when pressing certain keys on my laptop. Sometimes while a pad is playing (and also while I am playing my M-Audio keystation 88 sometimes too), Ableton will freeze, and the pad will get stuck on one section of the pad and skip really fast. Pressing the stop button does nothing because it is frozen. Tonight, I was playing a live worship concert with the pad playing in the background of the song, and Ableton froze and the pad froze as well, and the only way I could get it to stop was unplugging the auxiliary cable from my keyboard and plugging it back in. This is really annoying because it disrupted the worship set while I was in the middle of singing. I had to simultaneously sing, stop playing the my piano, unplug the aux cord, and plug it back just to get it to unfreeze and stop the pad. Any ideas why this is happening?

Harmonic Progression

Re: Ableton freezing randomly while playing live

Post by Harmonic Progression » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:49 pm

System specs please, including version of OS, amount of memory (physical and virtual), and audio interface + driver level. Also, do you have any "tweaks" on that system?

Freezes suck; that's for sure.

Also, please clarify: Precisely what freezes? Does Live need to be restarted? Windows need to be rebooted?
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

james1987

Re: Ableton freezing randomly while playing live

Post by james1987 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm

it is worth checking the task manager to make sure CPU,RAM all are not at 100% . You can check some tips here and reducing CPU load tips here

I am not sure it is because of the issues with system resources , so its better let us know what exactly happens .

regards
James :wink: