Problems with slicing to midi (pops)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dswove

Problems with slicing to midi (pops)

Post by Dswove » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 am

Hello. I have been having issues with slicing audio to midi. When I slice and play it back I get a very harsh pops between every cut. I try using the xfade knob to fade in and out the chops but it doesn't help. I've been watching tutorials on YouTube about slicing in Ableton to see if i'm missing an extra step and nobody else seems to be having the issue. Shouldn't the samples be chopped pretty clean so I don't have pops? It does this for any sample too from melodies to vocals and then whatever chops I make i have to flatten it into audio and make manual fades at every chop which is rather annoying and tedious. Would really appreciate it if anyone can explain why this is happening or what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

dna598

Re: Problems with slicing to midi (pops)

Post by dna598 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:37 am

Ahh my favourite topic. It's because Live's slicing algorithm and implementation is, shall we say politely, not ideal.

You really gotta zoom in and line up many of those transient markers manually.
At the same time, you ideally need to audition the slice before slicing to midi...just to see if it plays nicely in isolation, with no or minimum clicks. This will help it playback cleanly.

To do that is not terribly comfortable, and is strangely more of workaround than a feature, but it can be done.
In the arrange page (only), with an audio clip waveform in focus, try the key commands in my sig.

Alternatively you could use Simpler slice mode and audition each slice from midi keyboard as you go (still clumsy), but they left out the midi file generation!

WTF Ableton. Still.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection