Catalina will break Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Davo

Catalina will break Live 9

Post by Davo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm

This is a software car crash of industrial proportions. It is caused by Apple of course. It seems a bit flippant to suggest that I never update my operating system. I could do that for a short while but not forever. I had decided that I didn't need to upgrade to Live 10 and I could not justify the cost. Now I have to choose between updating my operating system and continuing to use Live 9. This makes me sad. I hope that some generous future discounting by Ableton might ease my sadness over this. A free upgrade to Live 10 for Mac users?

miyaru

Re: Catalina will break Live 9

Post by miyaru » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Or ask Apple to pay for the cost: they caused it after all...........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 pm

A big Peter Kirn explanation of exactly what will break. Hardware drivers, plugins, DAWs, lots of things

https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina ... t-to-know/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Davo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm
This is a software car crash of industrial proportions. It is caused by Apple of course. It seems a bit flippant to suggest that I never update my operating system. I could do that for a short while but not forever. I had decided that I didn't need to upgrade to Live 10 and I could not justify the cost. Now I have to choose between updating my operating system and continuing to use Live 9. This makes me sad. I hope that some generous future discounting by Ableton might ease my sadness over this. A free upgrade to Live 10 for Mac users?
But WHY do you need to update your OS?
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Think of how far forward every company would be if they didn't have to rebuild and test their software to fit the MacOS update schedule. Compatibility seems to be a word banished from the Apple mantra.

Davo

Post by Davo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 am

[jur] wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:01 pm
Davo wrote:
To get updates to apps and security updates for the OS

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 am

Live 9 isn't officially compatible with Mojave either though.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 am

Davo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 am
[jur] wrote:
Davo wrote:
Do you really need those updates? Even Apple will issue truly important security fixes for the older versions of OSX/macOS. That said, I do like Live 10. I liked 9 as well and could have stuck with that for quite a bit longer. I understand your consternation. Apple is not really a nice company.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 am

Davo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 am
[jur] wrote:
Davo wrote:
Well, if you think that you really NEED this, then I guess your only option is too deal with the issues that comes with it.
Personally, the only benefit I get from those quite useless updates is that I never had to buy any single smartphone and I don't even fear breaking or losing one... because there's so many people around that jump every year on the new incredible and revolutionary shinny and slimmer than ever iPhone; I just need to ask for their "obsolete" smartphone slipping in their drawers.
Ableton Forum Moderator

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 am

Well, if you think that you really NEED this, then I guess your only option is too deal with the issues that comes with it.
Personally, the only benefit I get from those quite useless updates is that I never had to buy any single smartphone and I don't even fear breaking or losing one... because there's so many people around that jump every year on the new incredible and revolutionary shinny and slimmer than ever iPhone; I just need to ask for their "obsolete" smartphone slipping in their drawers.
That is so true....... and that is what I don't like about Apple: everything should be updated, upgraded and replaced every year or so. I used to use Apple stuff in the past, but switched back to Win platform to avoid all these problems.

There product look neat and nice, and have some benefits, but not so much to justify the hassle and price.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Davo wrote:
This is a software car crash of industrial proportions. It is caused by Apple of course.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Note that the community generally comes up with solutions to backward compatibility, and forward in some cases. Just look around.

Davo

Post by Davo » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 pm

I've got an old iPhone 5 that I can't update so it can't install new apps. I don't want to do that to my Mac. Dual booting from partitions is another kludgy workaround that I don't want to do. I want to keep updating my Mac whenever it seems like a good idea and I want to keep running Live. So I'm going to have to upgrade to Live 10 at some stage. I hope that Ableton might feel some sympathy for long-time users and offer a reasonably-priced upgrade to Live 10 at a suitable time. Hoping for a free upgrade is probably a bit optimistic.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Davo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 pm
I hope that Ableton might feel some sympathy for long-time users and offer a reasonably-priced upgrade to Live 10 at a suitable time. Hoping for a free upgrade is probably a bit optimistic.
8O Ableton would love to do that of course, but they already give 35% of their revenus to Apple. :idea:
:!: :arrow:

Davo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 pm
I want to keep updating my Mac whenever it seems like a good idea and I want to keep running Live
There's a working idea for sure, you can call it a compromise but it's probably simpler than that.
Ableton Forum Moderator

steko

Post by steko » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:13 pm

ZOMFG!, Live 9 (released 6 1/2 years ago) won't be compatible with the newest macOs!

Really, guys?

Here's how long Apple supports older iPhone models | iMore <cough>

Your iPhone 5 is 7 years old FFS
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6