Help needed: Audio -> MIDI

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
studiojohnny

Help needed: Audio -> MIDI

Post by studiojohnny » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 pm

How do you convert audio to MIDI? I have a snare track with identical snare hits. I want to convert it to MIDI. How does one do it?

Things I've tried:
  • Slate Trigger 2: Normally I use Slate Trigger 2 when I need to sample replace, but I'd like to actually just convert this snare track to MIDI information so I can use other samplers. Trigger 2 has the ability to output MIDI, which in theory is perfect, but I can't figure out how to route the MIDI in Ableton, because it's an audio track. It only allows me to route the audio. I can't get a separate MIDI channel to "listen" to the audio channel with Trigger 2 from which the midi originates.
  • Ableton Live's "Convert Drums to New Audio Track" feature: never works. :(
  • Max for Live Devices: I've tried the few I've found. No dice.
  • VST plugins: No dice with my googling so far. But surely something exists?
Any recommendations?
Last edited by studiojohnny on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

studiojohnny

Re: How to convert a single drum track into MIDI

Post by studiojohnny » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm

I edited the post above to shorten it and make my question clearer, if that helps.

Is there maybe some sort of Max For Live device that "listens" for MIDI on one channel and can send it to another channel where another device receives it? I just can't get the MIDI to go from an audio track to the MIDI track

studiojohnny

Re: Help needed: Audio -> MIDI

Post by studiojohnny » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Bump :/

gbert

Re: Help needed: Audio -> MIDI

Post by gbert » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 am

When you right click the audio clip the command is “Convert Drums to New MIDI Track”. Is that the one you tried? Because you mentioned “...to New Audio Track”.

I have found this command works quite well for tracks that contain only drums. If you have a track with only snare hits, then it should easily be able to handle this and give a very convincing conversion to MIDI.