Effects Racks and Arrangement

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scottymac

Effects Racks and Arrangement

Post by scottymac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:40 am

Hello Guys

Is there any good effects racks tutorials and also packs to buy that anyone could recommend, please?

I have been experimenting for hours but not really getting anywhere.

My desired outcome is to be able to take my static sections and add some effects to all of my sounds so they sound more interesting. The thing is I just don't know how to properly apply effects and guessing is not getting me anywhere. All I'm after is techniques I can take away and do, that I know are going to work.

Best wishes

Scott

jestermgee

Re: Effects Racks and Arrangement

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:10 am

Unfortunately the answers would be as broad as the question I feel.

It's almost the same question as "What are some good tips for cooking to make my food taste great"

Simple answer might be "add salt" So the same might be "add reverb" but just like adding salt to a desert may not be the right advice, adding reverb to a drum and bass track for instance may not be the best advice either.

There are LOADS of FX around the place because there are literally endless ways you can combine them and use them. Experimentation is the key and while you may feel you are not getting anywhere, what you are doing is learning what doesn't work if nothing else.

Start with learning some of the absolute basics or what reverb is and what it does, how to use things like chorus and phasers, what compressors can do, where to use EQ and how it can be used to filter some things especially when using it before feeding effects to trim low end for instance before feeding a reverb.

I think the question you want to ask is how to add vibrance and "space" to your mix which is often simple effects like reverb and delay but then you have a whole different subject on the types of effects, sends or insert fx.... Start learning more about the delays, reverbs, EQ, Chorus, Compressors that you have and start doing some reading (or youtubing if you are the more lazy learner) on techniques on what instruments to use what kinds of effects. Subtleness is the key, unless you have a specific idea the effects should be just enough to add a little something without being the main focus.

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Is there any good effects racks tutorials and also packs to buy that anyone could recommend, please?

All I'm after is techniques I can take away.

Pretty straight forward questions I'd say. Your advice completely overlooks the specific questions completely.

scottymac

Post by scottymac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm looking for help and you just come out with that piss poor answer that gets me absolutely no where! When I'm struggling with something. Well done you've just won the trophy for the forums biggest bell end mate. And you're already a massive twat :D

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Hey, we don't tolerate name calling here on the forums, and I think you've overreacted a bit to someone who actually took the time to try and help. Please take a look at the forum guidelines at the top of each forum section, if you can't follow those rules you will not be allowed to participate here.
Ableton Forum Administrator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:09 am

Ableton Forum Moderator