HELP - programming MIDI instruments

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Noodles_

HELP - programming MIDI instruments

Post by Noodles_ » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:15 am

Hey peeps

I've tried researching on my own how to do this but I don't know how to succinctly ask...

I am trying to find out if there is a way to toggle on and off what I will call "keystroke sharing". Lets take two default MIDI instruments for example - Grand Piano and Bit Growl Bass. So when playing 3 notes lets say C-E-G, the piano will play them each with independent key strokes. Whereas the GBB will climb up to find the note, and will follow the note back down if held. So you can do some fun sliding things. However there are MIDI instruments I would like to NOT have this happen, and there are others I would like to have that happen. Does anyone know a way to adjust this setting?

Cheers!

J

gbert

Re: HELP - programming MIDI instruments

Post by gbert » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:45 am

That should be handled by the synth instrument itself. So it’s not a global setting in Live. Look for a setting in the instrument called portamento, glide, or slide. That would turn on and off this behavior.

Noodles_

Post by Noodles_ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 am

Dang that's a shame. I saw a post from 2007 saying Ableton didn't have that feature. Imma keep digging, I will update if I find anything

TLW

Post by TLW » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:02 pm

As gbert says, portamento is something that is set in each synth. Live doesn’t have it as an overall setting (if it does someone please correct me) probably because different synths interpret it in different ways and if it was set globally all synths would do it at the same time. Which might get a bit crazy.

What you could try is setting up two MIDI tracks. Set the input of each track to your controller, and put a synth on each track. You can then adjust each synth to behave how you want using its portamento or envelope controls.

Or you can set one synth to respond to the pitch-bend wheel so you can control it that way while setting the other synth’s pitch bend amount to zero. It might be possible to set one synth to play in a legato way while the other triggers a fresh envelope for each key press, but again, that depends on the synths/samplers themselves.

Hope that helps.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.