Saving my midi tracks as a type 1 Midi file

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonel

Saving my midi tracks as a type 1 Midi file

Post by jonel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi All,
I have been puzzling over a problem I have with a midi file. The song is in 3/4 time but does not does not contain any time signature information in the file itself. As a result, when I am asked by Ableton to accept the imported time signature, that comes in with the midi default of 4/4. This is not really an issue because I can set the project to 3/4 and reject the incoming time signature.

The real problem is the songs relationship to the 3/4 bar structure. For a start it begins just after the beginning of bar 3 (after the lead in. It is clearly too fast because beat 1 comes earlier in each bar.
I can sort this on a per bar basis by selecting a track and:

1. Move the start point in clip view using the midi stretch feature with the left handle.

2. I can then move to right end and move the handle to stretch out track until it meets the correct beat level.

This is where I come a bit unstuck. I would like to be able to do this to all tracks at the same and do a global move so that I can preserve the relative timing relationship of each track and also do the same for the right hand end.

After much messing about I realised that this didn't seem possible. I resorted to working with each track individually and eventually came up with a reasonable output (but not as good as the original)

The final problem was in saving all the tracks as a single midi file that could be loaded into a midi player, but I only seem to be able to save a single track as midi. In fact everything sees to relate to single tracks.

I did try loading the file as a type 0 midi so that it was all on one track and the was successful but couldn't save it as a type 1.

In short I gave up, I had thoughts of perhaps trying to use the groove pool on the remaining tracks but thought that life was too short to stuff a mushroom.

I tried other midi software. Midi Editor looked promising because it could change the start of the music for all tracks simultaneously, but fell over when it came to the stretch function.

Any help would really be gratefully received because I'm wasting my life on something that is not that important but I see that there is no real reason that it shouldn't work.

Thanks