I just want to fix ONE note in my clip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital Larry

I just want to fix ONE note in my clip

Post by Digital Larry » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:59 pm

by copying and replacing the existing note with the same note played a few seconds later. Other than that the take is fine.

I don't see a way to do this in Session/Clip view. Do I have to print that into Arrangement view, edit it, then copy it back to clip view?

I read this, seems fairly extreme: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232129#p1748518

I have Audacity and Sound Forge 10 and SONAR Professional if any of those help.

TLW

Re: I just want to fix ONE note in my clip

Post by TLW » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 pm

I usually do that sort of thing in arrangement view then copy the clip back into session view. But I also do a lot of recording into arrangement view anyway, then if I want to I chop the audio/MIDI into clips for session view.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 pm

TLW wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 pm
I usually do that sort of thing in arrangement view then copy the clip back into session view. But I also do a lot of recording into arrangement view anyway, then if I want to I chop the audio/MIDI into clips for session view.
Thanks for the clarification. This is where I say "I'm really used to using this other program" which is more like arrangement view only. Seems a little roundabout but I guess I can live with it. :D

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 pm

So you are talking a note that was recorded from Audio form an instrument you played (not MIDI)

Yeah, as suggested, you would need to just grab the clip, move it to arrangement and then you can zoom in on it and split it using CTRL + E and copy/duplicate/move any parts around then once it's all rearranged use CTRL + J to consolidate it all back as another clip.

Sounds like a pain initially but Session view is used for storing and programming your palette of sounds and arrangement is where you do all your mixing and editing so think of it more like you have a bonus bucket for your paint colours (which the other mentioned softwares don't) then you have the traditional canvas where you do all your work on

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 am

Define an external audio editor, double-click on the clip to open the editor, choose manage sample or show in browser, then edit in the external editor. Or, copy it to arrangement mode and slice. It would be nice if you could do slicing and stuff in the editor as well as the arranger. It's not that bad, however, after you get used to it. Just a couple of extra steps.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:30 pm

It does seem as if they're a bit more motivated these days than they were for a few years. Developing Push no doubt took a lot of focus, but... I sometimes wonder exactly goes into the decision making. Are they content and think it's good enough as is? Do they not want to rock the performance boat?

I do appreciate that Live keeps it simple and focused, but there also seems to be stuff that would make perfect sense and not get in the way that's not implemented. I'm sure Bitwig is a motivator, though personally I've found it a disappointment. Great ideas, but shy on the basics and with some very odd choices. But I do like the split inside a clip/subclip feature which is exactly what we're talking about here.

This and comping could be easily implemented. Maybe. You never know when old code will jump up and bite you.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 pm

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:22 pm
That's one way to paint Live's shortcoming into a "positive" :D
I think more people need to look at positives in things rather than every limitation being a "game breaker". The best minds of our times learned to use the tools they had to the best of their abilities far before demanding the tool makers build them better.

I come from a time long ago before the internet of things where you had to learn to make do with what you had in front of you because there were no forums or threads or betas to test. You had limitations you just learned to work around them. Crashes, you learned to save often and incrementally. Not to say suggestions in forkflow and improvements aren't always welcomed but if a problem has a solution, even if it may not be perceived as the "best" solution, it is still something that can work.

At the end of the day if Daw X has this feature that is more convenient and a "must have" for Daw Y the question is why not just use Daw X? Normally the answer is because Daw Y has other features/workflow that Daw X does not....

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 am

I think the vast majority of users do just that. Only a "select" few come here to discuss. ;-)