How HUI?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonljacobi

How HUI?

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:44 pm

I have a Novation LaunchPad Mini Mk3, and the record button is clip record rather than global record. I rarely if ever use session mode, so this is basically useless to me. However, when I map it via MIDI without the Mk3 in Ableton Mode and no controller selected, it becomes intermittent. In other words, I have to hold the record button to keep it recording. Pressing the button sends controller 117.127 and releasing it 117.0. I'm guessing that's on/off.

Should I even have to map this? Is there a controller script that enables HUI? Is HUI on by default? I tried all the Mackie controllers I saw, and none seemed to do anything. Any and all insight would be appreciated.

jonljacobi

Re: How HUI?

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:56 pm

I meant "momentary" not "intermittent".

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Are you using the Live's built-in Control Surface script for your Launchpad?
Ableton Forum Moderator

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:36 pm

I have been using a script from the drop down list of controllers, if that’s what you mean. But the one provided by Novation limits the record button to clip record.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 pm

Probably because the Launchpad is designed to work in Session mode.
Ableton Forum Moderator

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:24 pm

That’s correct. I rarely use session mode. Hence the desire to use HUI.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 pm

If you are mostly in arrangement then the LP is probably the wrong tool for what you need. As mentioned it's designed to work within Session view and perform your session which is how the script for it is programmed.

The buttons on the LP are all momentary so in order to use it to toggle something you need some kind of interpreter such as the scripts, Max or externally using something like Bome Midi Translator to convert the momentary into a toggle state.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:47 am

Actually, I got it for the keys and pads. I don't need this functionality, but if I could employ it, I would. I don't quite understand why they would not allow you to edit it or provide an alternate script. I talked to support, and they're not sure either. If I cared enough, I'd probably figure out how to write one myself.

But I can use the HUI on my MX88 and it works fine, so if this is supposed to support HUI, there should be a way. I'm just trying to find out what it might be, or if it's not actually HUI compatible.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:07 am

There's more than 1 workaround but something like Bome is probably the most convenient one (the LP doesn't have any software editor, right?).
I'd personnally favor M4L because I don't like having additional soft running and keep everything in Live, but do you own it?
Tricky workarounds involving user remote scripts and/or mackie control emulation in conjunction with the default LP control surface script are probably possible, but headaches...
Ableton Forum Moderator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 am

I personally use Bome and have it automatically open with live using a launcher I created (which also polls all my MIDI devices and warns if something is not switched on before loading). I've used it for so long now it's just an automatic accepted utility that allows any commands from anything to be commands for anything else and just works. It's a bit of an investment tho and has a bit of a learning curve but if you like to be able to make things exactly as you like, send keyboard shortcuts or mimic other controller messages from other MIDI devices then it's brilliant but not for everyone.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:30 am

Thanks. I'm not the much of a stickler. Or I'm lazy. Can't decide which... ;-)