Session View v Arrangement View?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zelda123

Session View v Arrangement View?

Post by Zelda123 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm new to all of this but did spend a few weeks with FL Studio before jumping over to Ableton which I've had for a few days.

Just wondering I've been working totally in arrangement view. Is this ok? I'm on the very basics at the moment. Total noob. It's taken me three days to work out how to use Sampler and Piano roll (It's easy when you know), And even now im not totally confident. My knowledge is extremely limited at the moment because I've only just started. Just figuring out drums and bass at the moment, Am I ok working only in arrangement?

Thanks

timday

Re: Session View v Arrangement View?

Post by timday » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:24 pm

I write everything in arrangement and use session just for performance and it works fine. That was I think what it was originally designed for. But loads of people write in session view as well especially using Push, so worth a go to see if you find it easier.

pottering

Post by pottering » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:37 pm

Session View is for when you don't want to be locked to a absolute linear timeline.
♥♥♥

borg

Post by borg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:36 pm

in session view you collect all your different pattern/loops/sounds vertically per track.
with these you can jam around, try different combinations, build your track while jamming.

now, if you hit the global record button on top, everything you do while performing this jam will be recorded into arrangement.
after you stop recording, you can edit all movements, or whatever, as if you clicked your arrangement together.

that's how I use Live, anyway.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800