How do I transfer a specific note of an instrument rack into a drum rack?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Player2_1345

How do I transfer a specific note of an instrument rack into a drum rack?

Post by Player2_1345 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Hey everyone,

I’m very much a newbie music producer using live lite and a launchpad.

I found an instrument that I liked and loaded it in, and now I want to add a specific note to a spot on my drum rack.

Is there any way I can do this?

Thank you so much in advance.

The_Subject

Re: How do I transfer a specific note of an instrument rack into a drum rack?

Post by The_Subject » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi,

Open two tracks, one with your synth, we'll call "synth", one with your drum, we'll call "drum".

In Synth put a blank FX rack and create two chains in it.
For sake of explaining we'll call one "send" and one "direct".

Open the Key range chain editor. Make sure direct covers the whole spectrum.
Drag Send down to the single or more notes you want it to cover.

MIDI input on drum set to the synth, and the second box for the specific location, set to "effects rack send".
Drum monitor to input.

you should now have the all the synth that are selected by key range of your sends chain, being sent to drums.

You might need to add some kind of effect to Send to mute it's input within the synth track, or you'll double it. Change the specific input location accordingly to avoid this effect killing your drum input.

ShelLuser

Re: How do I transfer a specific note of an instrument rack into a drum rack?

Post by ShelLuser » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:50 pm

Player2_1345 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 pm
I’m very much a newbie music producer using live lite and a launchpad.

I found an instrument that I liked and loaded it in, and now I want to add a specific note to a spot on my drum rack.
Why on a drumrack and not, for example, using the instrument as-is? So: drag said instrument onto a MIDI track (preferably in session view (the spreadsheet setup)) then double click on a slot to add a midi clip and then, well, sequence away (note that 'd' toggles between drawing mode).

If you insist on using a drumrack then keep in mind that you can easily drop an instrument onto a pad. Each pad represents a specific note so just drop the instrument into the right pad and you should be good to go.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)