Best alternative to a Keystation 49es - driving me nuts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dagwaremedia

Best alternative to a Keystation 49es - driving me nuts

Post by dagwaremedia » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Please understand, I come from the analog midi world where first Atari then Cubase was my learning curve back in the 90's. As I got back into this after a long absense in the mid 2000's I got back to doing thisin 2004 using Cubase ( my last was I believe 5.0) I now use Abelton. I familiarized myself with the workflow and have the basics down except for midi.

The Keystation 49es is not a friendly controller, no LED screen and just plain hard for me. So can anybody recommend a controller where I can play midi notes from plug ins old school and be able to separate 6 or 8 channels of midi notes on different tracks in Ableton without them cancelling each other in playback?

This also has to do with a basic crash course of how midi is transmitted and received which is So 90's

A quik for instance :

In Abelton 10 using keystation 49es all midi from is set to (All Ins)
playing notes from sound generated from Wavetable
then playing another set of notes on sound generated by Tension
and finally
playing notes from 909 drums

These all cancel each other out when they play the same keys, obviously I need to set these up on separate midi channels.

anyone?
sorry for being anal about this
RRRRR

TLW

Re: Best alternative to a Keystation 49es - driving me nuts

Post by TLW » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:31 pm

If you look at the bottom of a track in session view, the pull-down menu which says “all ins” by default can be changed by clicking on it and selecting another option from the list that then displays. Input channel is then selected in the pull down menu below that.

It is quite possible to work with Live, ignore MIDI channels altogether and still select which tracks you want to record and which you don’t.

If you set track monitoring to “auto” then the track will ignore any MIDI coming into it and only play the existing content on the track unless the track is also set to record. So to record on that track arm it. When finished recording switch it’s record arm button off and leave monitoring at “auto”.

Another way to prevent MIDI coming from a controller reaching an instrument is to set the track to “no input”, which means it will ignore the controller. Playback of existing MIDI on the track still happens, so again record the MIDI you want on that track then set it to “no input” and it will ignore the controller from then on.

Another way to record only to a specific track is to record arm just the track/clip you want to record to.

If you have hardware synths then MIDI track outputs can be set to point at the relevant synth and the channel it is using.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.