Playback Tempo Slowed Down! Help!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ispeakstraightfacts

Playback Tempo Slowed Down! Help!!!

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:29 am

Hi, I am using all ableton instruments to make a song, no loops or samples. However, after playing back my song for a while it starts to slow down. Sometimes it will play faster than the original tempo which is 120 bpm. Anyone know why it's doing that?

Setup:
Ableton live 10.1.3
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB Ram
Apollo Twin Duo Interface

jestermgee

Re: Playback Tempo Slowed Down! Help!!!

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:13 am

What instruments are you using? How many tracks? Do you have an external audio interface or just the on board interface?

If you enable the metronome do you hear that speed up and slow down?
Does this "speed up / slow down" happen in the same places all the time or randomly?
Are you playing clips or an arrangement?
Does the playback crackle or pop or is it just slow/faster than the BPM set?

ispeakstraightfacts

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:35 am

Thanks for the reply. I am using instruments from Ableton's instrument section (Analog, collision, operator, etc...), as well as Ableton drums from the drum packs i installed from their website. The playback is playing faster than the BPM set. When i enabled the metronome, i can hear it speed up and slow down with the song. The speed up and slowdown happens randomly. The song will play at its intended tempo and then all of a sudden it will slow down or speed up randomly. i have already arranged the song and playing it in the arrangement view.

ispeakstraightfacts

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:37 am

Between, i am using Apollo Twin Duo as my audio interface!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:59 am

Never heard that happen before. Audio breaking up, dropouts, crackles but not the actual transport of the song fluctuating. Seems rather odd. Could be CPU/heat related (tho i'd expect audio dropouts and hiccups) but having never heard of it before, no further ideas here.

borg

Post by borg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 pm

you sure there is no (accidentally recorded) automation in the master track for tempo?
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm

borg wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 pm
you sure there is no (accidentally recorded) automation in the master track for tempo?
That's what I was thinking, too. It can happen pretty easily, actually.

ispeakstraightfacts

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:22 am

I don't think i recorded any automation because if that's the case there would be a red square on the tempo tab at the top left. Its just that the song tempo cannot stay consistent. it will play at the right tempo and then i will close the set and open it on another time and it will play either faster or slower even though the tempo is still the same at the top left. Sometimes it will play at its intended tempo but then playing my song for a while i can hear the song starting sound slower or faster. i have reinstalled Ableton twice and its still the same result. It is driving me crazy!

TLW

Post by TLW » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:58 pm

Does the pitch change as well or just the tempo? Also, how much does the tempo change? A lot or a little?

How are you MIDI clocking? Is Live the master MIDI clock or is it set to sync to something else in MIDI preferences?
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

ispeakstraightfacts

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:21 am

The tempo is the only thing that changes. i can significantly hear it either playing slower or faster than its intended tempo. what bothers me is that the metronome slows or speeds along with the tempo fluctuation. i have an "oxygen 49" midi keyboard connected to my computer via usb. Additionally, i have chosen it as my input in Ableton's midi preferences with just the "Track" and "Remote" options set to "On" for my midi keyboard. It syncs perfectly because i have no issues recording midi notes. The tempo inconsistency occurs during playback.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:03 am

ispeakstraightfacts wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:29 am
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014
Power saving options? Processor clocking down?

ispeakstraightfacts

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:11 pm

what do you mean by "processor clocking down?" Do you mean does my cpu meter go up during playback? or are you referring to my cpu performance in the Activity Monitor on my MacBook Pro? Because i am not experiencing any CPU crackling or spikes during playback its just the Tempo of my session can't keep up!

ispeakstraightfacts

Post by ispeakstraightfacts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Additionally, i have optimize my energy saver so that my computer doesnt sleep when i am using Ableton, so i don't know what's going on!

Ennpey

Post by Ennpey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm actually experiencing the same thing and it's driving me crazy. I recorded myself singing, while listening to the original version of the song I was singing (so I really was at the right tempo) and now when I'm playing back, the beginning of the song is at the right tempo but after that it slows down!

I hope there is a solution, I need this recording for work purposes.

:)

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:29 am

It might be worth checking you’ve not created a tempo automation envelope.

Also that the last point on this page, to do with using audio clips to generate tempo changes doesn’t apply to your project. https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ement-View
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.