Include Return and Master effects unavailable when Rendering Master

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Frn_ck

Include Return and Master effects unavailable when Rendering Master

Post by Frn_ck » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello people of internet,

I need help. I have this session I need to render but for some, to me unknown reason, I am not able to include return and master effects. When I want to render the master this is unavailable. But if I press that I want all individual tracks this option suddenly becomes available? Any idea how to enable it for master?

Tnx

pottering

Re: Include Return and Master effects unavailable when Rendering Master

Post by pottering » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:37 pm

The Master export option already has all the Return and Master effects, by definition.
♥♥♥

Frn_ck

Post by Frn_ck » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Tnx for the quick reply bruw bruw,

Just to make this cler haha,
you are saying that no matter what that little button says Return and Master effects will be rendered in the master?

Tnx

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Yeah. it is the Master, it is all the tracks (including itself) mixed together, the very end of the signal path.
♥♥♥

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:53 am

To further clarify, the option applies to exporting individual tracks. When exporting the whole mix, it is on by default, contrary to it showing off, if that makes sense. ;)

Chris___

Post by Chris___ » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:40 am

Frn_ck wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:41 pm
Tnx for the quick reply bruw bruw,

Just to make this cler haha,
you are saying that no matter what that little button says Return and Master effects will be rendered in the master?

Tnx
I'm sure it's to late to save the original mix in question but I can tell you from experience of multiple exports if the button says off it is off.

There seems to be a tiny programming bug here.

If someone wants to export the master we can assume they want the effects that are on it as well (which are the true end of the chain) so Ableton has set it up so if you ask for the master you cannot move that button however it's not set to automatically be on---so if your last export was individual tracks (or if you even just clicked that option) the button was probably turned off and frozen there.

You can include the return and master effect by changing you "Render Track" option to anything except master or return.

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:52 am

baseinstinct wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:53 am
To further clarify, the option applies to exporting individual tracks. When exporting the whole mix, it is on by default, contrary to it showing off, if that makes sense. ;)
Actually, if you look closely at the button, it is not just displayed as "Off", it is also grayed out to indicate it is disabled. This is because Live always includes Return and Master effects when exporting the Master. I double-checked it this morning.

As Chris mentioned, the button will actually display whatever choice you selected the last time you exported something other than the Master, but in either case, it is disabled and has no effect when exporting Master. I think this is more of a convenience feature, so that when you go back to exporting stems, Live remembers your previous choice.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

davyker

Post by davyker » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:41 pm

There's a sense in which "Off" is the truth, when exporting master - you do not want to separately "include return and master effects" when exporting the master track because the master track by definition has those effects present on it already. The output of the master track has already been through the master effects, and the return track signals have been processed through the return effects before being routed to the master channel.

When exporting a single track, you are taking the signal directly as it finishing its journey through the chain within that track, before the signal from that track has been routed to the returns and master, so including return and master effects requires separate consideration - hence the need to specify this.

But more accurate would be to say that the question of whether to "include the master and return tracks" is incoherent/ill-defined when you are exporting master track