Recording sustained notes instead of pedal on/off

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bathmutz

Recording sustained notes instead of pedal on/off

Post by bathmutz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am

Hi everybody, quick question:

Edit: This is not a question about the problem of notes sustaining. I understand how to edit the pedal on/off messages.

Edit 2: I don't have max4live.

When using a sustain pedal and a keyboard to record some midi notes it's pretty anoying to edit the sustain pedal on/off messages. Any way to record the notes just as sustaining notes? I tried rerouting my midi trough another midi track but that didn't work.

I guess this is how Ableton works. But maybe somebody has workaround. To convert notes with pedal messages to the right length (visually).

Thanks!

TLW

Re: Recording sustained notes instead of pedal on/off

Post by TLW » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:05 pm

How long are you wanting to sustain notes?

Some instruments/samples have a fixed maximum length - e.g. pianos - because that’s how the instrument behaves.

If the instrument has an ADSR envelope then adjusting that, especially the decay and release, can add some sustain.

If you’re creating very long sustains such as drones one way to do it is to record a held MIDI note/chord into a session view clip. Then set the clip to loop with the area being looped not being the entire clip but a section in the middle of it. So when the clip starts playing the note is played but the looped part in the middle of the note(s) means it never gets to the MIDI note off so the note sustains for ever. If that makes sense...
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

chapelier fou

Re: Recording sustained notes instead of pedal on/off

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 am

It’s not how Ableton works, it’s how MIDI works. I don’t see any solution, without m4l, sorry.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1