Ableton sync with Korg SQ1 via USB

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
enceedubya

Ableton sync with Korg SQ1 via USB

Post by enceedubya » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 am

Hi all - don't need a huge amount of detail here as I'm between copies of Ableton live (well, I'm between computers really :( ) so when I'm back up and running I should be able to figure it out.... but I have a Korg SQ1 which is lovely for sequencing my CV stuff. But can I sync it to Ableton (or any DAW) via its USB port? I saw some people are using Volcas and syncing via those but I'd prefer not to do that if I can just wack a USB cable into it from my computer.

As always, sorry for vaguely n00b questions, I should know better :)

N

downfader

Re: Ableton sync with Korg SQ1 via USB

Post by downfader » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 pm

I havent used it in ages but I think there is a driver on the korg website. After installing it should just come into ableton as an interface in the usual way. I just plugged mine into the usb with the cable and then into the microbrute. It might even autolaunch if you plug it in.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:52 pm

I’ve a couple of SQ-1’s.

The SQ-1 syncs through the USB connection without problems. It should show up in Live’s MIDI preferences and just needs sync enabling.

Unfortunately there’s a couple of problems if it’s connected to a computer. Most things connected to the CV outputs will make a high-pitched constant whining noise. This seems to only happen when connected to a computer - using a battery that connects to the USB port, AA batteries or a charger plug and it doesn’t do this. It’s probably an earthing issue, some people seem to have solved it by breaking into a USB cable and cutting the earth connection, though that hasn’t worked for mine.

Another problem is that if it’s receiving clock through the USB port it won’t output MIDI data through its MIDI connector, only the CV outputs work.

It can be synced to a DAW in other ways without problems:
1. Clock it from a MIDI device that receives clock from the DAW and has a sync output.
2. Use Korg’s free Sync Kontrol app on a phone or tablet that’s connected to the DAW and being sent clock. This works with iphones and ipads, I don’t know if it’s available for android.
3. The cv clock is a loud pulse wave. This can be recorded from the SQ-1’s sync out by running it stand-alone and then warped and played back into the sync input at whatever tempo is needed. Or a track with a loud pulse wave on it can be used. Obviously this needs a spare output on the audio interface to do, but it’s perhaps the most flexible way to clock the SQ-1 as it gives the most control and the largest possible tempo range.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

enceedubya

Post by enceedubya » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm

amazing, thanks. re: the CV high pitched noise, do you mean that only happens when it’s attached via usb but without battery or psu, or does it happen regardless? bit of a bummer about it losing midi functionality but not the end of the world i guess l. TBH when i get my Volcas outta storage i might just sync it with one of them. thanks again :)

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:38 pm

The noise problem seems to only occur when the SQ-1 is connected to a computer, or maybe some, but not all, USB charger plugs. It also seems to depend on the hardware the CV outputs are connected to. It’s obviously an earthing issue of some sort.

I usually run mine off cheap rechargeable batteries with USB connection sold as “power banks” for emergency recharging of mobile phones. Works out cheaper than AA batteries and reduces the number of wires running about the place and the already insane number of mains sockets I need to use for hardware.

The SQ-1 is useful but in many ways isn’t anything like as well built or featured as a Dark Time or modular sequencer. They are very cheap though, and useful for all kinds of things.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Echo Haus

Post by Echo Haus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:51 pm

Sorry for zombifying the thread, but I've hit a wall. When I have the SQ-1 connected via usb, I can press play in Ableton and the SQ will start but no midi information goes through. But if I hit play on the SQ-1 it will send midi through Ableton just fine. If ableton is set to external clock it will work but for some reason the SQ cant be the slave and send sequencer data.

I've updated the drivers, made sure it was all turned in in the midi preferences...I'm stumped! I used to have 4 SQ-1s connected to Ableton and it worked fine! Is it something with Live 11 maybe?

THANKS

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:22 pm

Anyone else figure out how to get MIDI notes out of the SQ-1 into Ableton Live 11?

I have heard you can't send USB out sync from Ableton Live to the SQ-1 in order to get this to work.

So I am syncing the Korg SQ-1 via CV in. But still MIDI out messages are not being received by Ableton Live.

Any idea how to take the MIDI out from the SQ-1 into Live via the MIDI out jack or can it only be done via USB? I am trying not to add another device to USB if possible.

Thanks!