MIDI Clip Envelope Defaults?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bobcharest

MIDI Clip Envelope Defaults?

Post by bobcharest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Hi,

I'm controlling our lights using the M4L Device CC to Program Change. To do this, I set the controller number to be used as input in the M4L device to 1. I then set the CC to Modulation in the MIDI Clip Envelope.

I save the live set.

When I next open it, the MIDI Clip Envelope CC initializes to Pitch Bend.

Although I can then change it to be Modulation and use the M4L MIDI device the way I want to, I can't seem to find a way to make the Envelope CC default to Modulation.

Is there something I'm missing, or is that just the way things are?

Best regards,
Bob Charest

bobcharest

Re: MIDI Clip Envelope Defaults?

Post by bobcharest » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 pm

This is how the file is saved:

This is how file opens:
Last edited by bobcharest on Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

bobcharest

Post by bobcharest » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for letting me know. The pics (hosted from my website) appeared to work on Chrome, but, as I found this morning, not from IE or Firefox.

I created an imgur account, uploaded both pictures, and replaced the resource string between the img tags with the imgur string, but they now didn't display on any browser. When I looked at what was copied from imgur, the files extension had been left off.

I fixed that and now I'm all set.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Bob

bobcharest

Post by bobcharest » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:14 pm

hi all,

I'm bumping this in case someone has encountered this and has found a solution. Hopefully that's the case.

I can make the change from Pitch Bend to Modulation each time I start Live, but I would like to understand why the clip envelope opens with Pitch Bend instaed of Modulation (which is what it is when I save the Live Set.

thanks!
Bob

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:13 am

MIDI clips defaulting to the Pitch Bend lane – whether it contains env data or not – is a small but annoying issue to which there's still no fix :x

The clip's last-viewed MIDI CC lane really should be saved with the project. Works for devices and plugins so i don't know why it doesn't work for MIDI clips. It's been this way for so long, i've never reported it but it might even be a bug. An ancient one, like a mosquito trapped in amber...

bobcharest

Post by bobcharest » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:20 pm

garyboozy wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:13 am
MIDI clips defaulting to the Pitch Bend lane – whether it contains env data or not – is a small but annoying issue to which there's still no fix :x

The clip's last-viewed MIDI CC lane really should be saved with the project. Works for devices and plugins so i don't know why it doesn't work for MIDI clips. It's been this way for so long, i've never reported it but it might even be a bug. An ancient one, like a mosquito trapped in amber...
Thanks for the reply - The "mosquito trapped in amber" line made me laugh!

I guess I'll just have to minimize the impact of this whenever I start up Ableton.

Best regards,
Bob