Connect multiple Drum rack outputs to a single instrument or MIDI track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Postscripter

Connect multiple Drum rack outputs to a single instrument or MIDI track

Post by Postscripter » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi!

I'm stuck with my pads. I have a drum rack, where each pad is assigned to it's own Sampler instance playing it's own sound. Now I want pads 1,2,3 and 4 to play piano notes. Following the same pattern I place 4 copies of a piano VSTi in my rack, each connected with it's own pad. Then I adjust "MIDI out note" parameter. But it's lame, isn't it? I run 4 identical VSTi instances and spend 4x more RAM. Can I reuse somehow a single VSTi instrument and route multiple Rack's outputs to it?

_____
I am making a live set. I use one midi track for my pads and one for my keyboard. The scene selector is used for changing songs/playbacks, and the chain selector changes instruments inside that two MIDI tracks. But I'm thinking now, isn't it a better idea to make separate tracks for each instrument to avoid duplicating? Then I'd just route Rack's outputs to them, and use chain selectors to change routing from song to song... but can't I find such function. A single MIDI track/instrument can have only one input... Seems to be a wrong assumption I've made...

ShelLuser

Re: Connect multiple Drum rack outputs to a single instrument or MIDI track

Post by ShelLuser » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:29 pm

What makes you think you're using 4 times the RAM?

Software is usually a lot smarter than that.

Live 10 Suite, just started, uses up 337Mb on my end. No Push, no nothing.

Then I load Kontakt and from there I load one of my favorite instruments: the Sitar! (from the 'India' series, this thing is awesome, it even supports those sliding sounds that are so custom to this type of instrument).

Anyway.. now I'm at 1Gb (this thing is taxing alright!).

So now comes the fun part.. I load in another Kontakt instance (on a new MIDI track) and load in the exact same instrument...

Amazingly enough I'm now not using up 2Gb of my memory, instead:

... it's more like an 120Mb addition.

Don't assume too much here, the software you're working with (Ableton in this example) is much more intelligent than you seem to realize.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:05 pm

If you want to rout the MIDI output of a track/rack/device into an other track (and optionally receive audio back) then you can use the "External Instrument" device. Not sure if it will address your actual issue but look into the External Instrument device as it's quite useful (and not just for externally attached hardware).

Postscripter

Post by Postscripter » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks! Both the comments are helpful. Indeed, the piano was not so hungry. Each copy added 50 Mb, but 10 copies will need 500, and that's only the first song in the set. I'll try to separate the most consuming instruments as jestermgee wrote and probably look for some videos about how people arrange their instruments playing live.