Re-enable Automation confusion

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Re-enable Automation confusion

Post by rbro » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:18 pm

I have a track that I am trying to play back in arrangement view. There are volume envelopes on certain tracks I created to have tracks fade in and out at certain times. The problem is I am confused by the red "re-enable automation" button at the top. It seems to go on and off during the arrangement and I'm not sure why. I simply want it to play back the envelopes I have created, but it seems like I have to click on that button to re-enable a volume envelope for 1 track, but then that disables the volume envelope for the other track. What am I doing wrong?

RedSkyRoad

Re: Re-enable Automation confusion

Post by RedSkyRoad » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi,

Are you talking about the one with the arrow pointing left?

If you have automation set that uses the MODWHEEL in a VST for instance and you turn the physical MODWHEEL on your controller, the automation goes into a type of pause mode. You'll have to enable it each time when you fiddle with the button that is automated...

Regards,
B
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:43 pm

That's the one. I don't think I've turned anything on a physical controller, but regardless, how can I set up my arrangement view so that it will play the arrangement with the automation envelopes the way I want them now? I can't "fiddle with it" while it is playing back if I intend to to render to audio.

rbro

Post by rbro » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:05 am

RedSkyRoad wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:22 pm
Hi,

Are you talking about the one with the arrow pointing left?

If you have automation set that uses the MODWHEEL in a VST for instance and you turn the physical MODWHEEL on your controller, the automation goes into a type of pause mode. You'll have to enable it each time when you fiddle with the button that is automated...

Regards,
B
Maybe I accidentally touched the modwheel while it was in record mode using a Plug-in. So how can I rectify the situation after the fact so that what I see in arrangement view is what I hear and what gets rendered to audio?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Do you have a controller connected? If you have automation recorded it will become disabled is another signal for that control is received. This can be A control from your controller (could be sending some phantom signals) or could be an LFO or modulation from another device (max?).

rbro

Post by rbro » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:18 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:25 am
The one with "the arrow pointing left" is only applicable if you have contents in both environments (Arrangement & Session) which the info view description clearly shows.

Ergo: if you are only using the arrangement view then you can simply ignore this. It only becomes an issue if you're using both together.
I unplugged my keyboard so there are no phantom signals. Is there a way I can disable all automation coming from session view, so I can just follow along in arrangement and identify where the issue is in arrangement view? I have this one long sustained keyboard pad that dies out about 30 sec into the track and I can't seem to identify why.

djyroc

Post by djyroc » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:59 pm

had and resolved a similar issue, and searched here for phantom automation while i was working it through. posting this in case it helps anyone who finds their way here.

in this case, i had "Gain" automated in Channel EQ, in a complex set.
every time the Gain automation hit, it's modulation greyed out and it stayed at the level it was at.
saved a debug version.
deleted all Tracks except for one with the issue.
deleted all Devices from the track except for Gain.
created a loop so only the section where this was happening would play.
right clicked on the Channel EQ Gain dial.
checked for modulation on the clip, nope.
checked the Midi map (CMD M or right click on the dial)
Found a midi mapping to this Device param (i didn't set it on purpose while building this set, must have happened by mistake).
Deleted the midi mapping. now the automation re-enables and stays on, and works as expected.