Best drum interfaces

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The_Subject

Best drum interfaces

Post by The_Subject » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am

Looking at a new electronic drum brain/interface to go into ableton. Any recommendations?

ShelLuser

Re: Best drum interfaces

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Well, I can only comment on my own experiences.. it depends I guess.

Although I don't plan on using it anymore I still think quite highly of my previous Akai MPD24, the pads were sturdy but responsive enough (this is also configurable), it has a preset ready for Live usage (to control some things like the mixer) and all in all I had a ton of fun with this critter. It's nothing too special, so basically a drumpad and that's it, but one that's recognized by Live and you don't have to go through hoops to make things work. Inexpensive and also has a real (analog) MIDI connector which I think can always come in handy.

On the downside I've always deemed the pads very peculiar, they were nice and responsive but you sometimes had to tap them pretty hard for them to respond. Although configurable they were never as responsive as I would have liked them to be.

But having said that I really think the Maschine Mk3 easily tops the others. That thing is versatile and responsive as heck, comes with its own audio interface (which can really help setting up percussion, depending on your setup) and I'm plain out impressed with all the stuff I can do with that thing. Either use it stand alone, within Live or simply as a (way overpriced :mrgreen:) plain MIDI controller so that I can play a Live drumrack or my personal favorite: Reason's Kong drum designer. I'm very excited about its pads and all the features it provides (like being able to use a touch strip for multiple functions (pitch bend, mod or fx settings)), options to set up an arpeggio and my favorite: being able to spread out a sound across all 16 pads and play it as an instrument.

On the downside the Maschine comes with a rather specific workflow and not everyone is very keen about that. You're basically using it 'on top' of your DAW and the interaction between those is somewhat minimal.

Those are two options can recommend fully based on personal experiences.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:44 pm

On youtube Quest for Groove reviews them. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-YRV2 ... eFwvymZ9MQ

I bought an old white Korg padKontrol on his advice and was not disappointed. Great pads.

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi both, thanks but I didn't explain myself right I'm talking v-drums. An actual kit.

I used to play acoustic drums and am buying an electronic kit but my criteria is I have to plug the brain into my computer to use in a daw, e.g. ableton.

I'm looking at all kinds of brains but half of them seem to be standalone units without any computer viable sockets, just pad in and sound out plus a memory card slot.

Even quite fancy ones (e.g. Roland TD-10 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3811743322) if you look at the pictures there is absolutely no computer plug.

I was hoping someone on here may have had experience with using one and could recommend for a smooth, latency free (or as close to it I can't tell the difference!) set up...

Thanks

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:38 am

Computer plug? USB cable? I have the TD-1K set and it absolutely has USB MIDI out.
Last edited by jonljacobi on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:21 am

The_Subject wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am
Looking at a new electronic drum brain/interface to go into ableton. Any recommendations?
For drum programming Ableton's piano is pretty good esp when utilizing Session view to store clips for different patterns, and Drum Racks. What are you trying to do.

Ableton Push also is great.

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:29 am

The Alesis Mesh kits don’t look too bad if you use it as a controller (internal sounds are unsurprisingly pants) and they feature usb midi and regular midi ins and outputs.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Not sure if the TD-1K is locked into Roland pads as it's the only one I've ever used. At least since the days of Simmons. I'm not a drummer, but pretty much anything even relatively modern should connect to a computer either via USB or standard MIDI to your audio interface.