Beginner Meltdown

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Zelda123

Beginner Meltdown

Post by Zelda123 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 pm

In contrast to what I said in a previous post, I've had a few days rest and listened back to the few bars/loops I've created so far..and they're terrible. In fact they're awful. The short bars I've made sound so clumpy and disjointed. Elements don't fit and there is no rhythm or smoothness. It all sounds really bitty and mechanical. Shocking!! Imagine someone randomly pressing the buttons on a phone lol. I'm not exaggerating it really is that bad. :oops:

In this for the long haul so no big deal, after all I am just starting out and appreciate it will take years. But It's dawned on me that the last few weeks have been wasted. This is the sort of genre I love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmnvlhwiK8U

It's a really refined and clear sound, where all elements fit perfectly. So much rhythm! I aspire to this in the 5 years, but I want to get started down the right path. :oops:

I'm not going to give up, actually I feel more motivated than before. But where do I start! What sort of techniques do I use to create such a refined and balanced sound?

Shift Gorden

Re: Beginner Meltdown

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:19 pm

You're already on the right path. Critical listening is a skill - stepping back and re-visiting often provides a fresh perspective. I bet most of us can relate to you, we've all been there (and continue to go there!)

Keep on using your ears, analyze the sounds of others, try to replicate, make happy accidents, consume as much fodder on YouTube as possible. Even if you don't feel it, progress will be made every day, even when you're not in front of Live.