Question on midi track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
grimacelovesmusic

Question on midi track

Post by grimacelovesmusic » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:05 am

Hello, probably a simple answer here but please realize it's greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to figure this out via a google search, likely the words I'm choosing to describe the issue. When I load a midi track and want to route midi in from another channel I don't get a "Midi To" I get an "Audio To" instead. The scenario is that I want captain chords to trigger the corresponding midi in serum for example. There must be something simple I'm missing here, and thank you in advance as any insight is greatly appreciated!

jestermgee

Re: Question on midi track

Post by jestermgee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:11 am

Once you add a VST to a track it becomes an audio track so you cannot “send midi”

What you need to do on the serum track is use the Midi from and select the track then be sure to select the dedicated output of the VST to make sure you get the generated output and not just the note input.

Also, you need to set serum track to monitor input (not auto)

I’d post images but I’m on my phone and going by memory.

grimacelovesmusic

Re: Question on midi track

Post by grimacelovesmusic » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:15 am

ahhhh, thank you, the problem is that I have a custom midi track with VST's loaded which is not allowing, much appreciated!!