Mixing/Mastering EP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toddincharlotte

Mixing/Mastering EP

Post by toddincharlotte » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:03 pm

I've been using Ableton Live 10 for a year now. I use it for everything, new ideas, writing new songs, performing original music and covers, recording demos etc.

I've gotten to the point where I have at least an EP worth of music now, possibly an LP and would like to mix/master my songs to publish on streaming services. I've gotten some really good demo quality stuff out of Ableton but have found it has some limitations for things like pickups, Intros/Outros, etc. Stuff that generally doesn't fit in the "can" [strict time, ordinary measures etc].

I was wondering if the community could guide me to a resource [preferably video] that teaches mixing/mastering final cuts for publication out of Ableton.

I know I have other options of rendering tracks and mastering in Pro Tools or Studio One, but I'd prefer to stay in the Ableton environment if possible.

jonljacobi

Re: Mixing/Mastering EP

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Not sure why you’re having problems with pickups, intros, or outros, or what that has to do with mixing, but the latter is no different really from any DAW. Set levels and apply FX on the master channel. There are several YouTube videos on mastering with Live.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Like Jester said, switching DAW won’t help you with mixing and mastering. Arguably, you can achieve identical results in ProTools, Studio One, Reaper, you name it.

Sounds like the issues you’re having include technical problems - are you trying to get a more spontaneous feel for your music like in a live/band situation?

I’m not sure about that part, mate.

However - the mixing and mastering part. Google Ian Sheperd - he’s got great mastering tutorials, tips, podcast, YouTube channel.

Also, check out the guides on Inner Portal Studio’s website - they’re really great: https://innerportalstudio.com/guides/

toddincharlotte

Post by toddincharlotte » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:17 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:50 pm
Like Jester said, switching DAW won’t help you with mixing and mastering. Arguably, you can achieve identical results in ProTools, Studio One, Reaper, you name it.

Sounds like the issues you’re having include technical problems - are you trying to get a more spontaneous feel for your music like in a live/band situation?

I’m not sure about that part, mate.

However - the mixing and mastering part. Google Ian Sheperd - he’s got great mastering tutorials, tips, podcast, YouTube channel.

Also, check out the guides on Inner Portal Studio’s website - they’re really great: https://innerportalstudio.com/guides/
So yeah, pickups aside. Here's one typical example that I find difficult in Ableton:
I play in a four measure audio loop on acoustic guitar. When it loops back, I miss the "strum" piece of the waveform that occurs right before beat 1. A regular DAW doesn't mind that piece of the waveform prior to the loop. Ableton eliminates it. Now, I get it...it's a loop and it's not going to play anything prior to the 4 measure segment. I'm just illustrating one of the challenges I have in working in ableton. Now, I suppose I could make a one measure segment for that fraction of beat 4 that connects with the four bar segment, or if it's in the middle of a tune, track that beat 4 fraction in the prior waveform.
The reason I associate it with the "mix" stage is because, stuff like that isn't really a big deal when playing live. I can just do without and no one hears it. However, when working with a mix/master that will be available for streaming or distribution, this is something I need to workout.

Same with pickup beats, etc. Same principle at least.

toddincharlotte

Post by toddincharlotte » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:37 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:37 pm
Not sure why you’re having problems with pickups, intros, or outros, or what that has to do with mixing, but the latter is no different really from any DAW. Set levels and apply FX on the master channel. There are several YouTube videos on mastering with Live.
So yeah, pickups aside. Here's one typical example that I find difficult in Ableton:
I play in a four measure audio loop on acoustic guitar. When it loops back, I miss the "strum" piece of the waveform that occurs right before beat 1. A regular DAW doesn't mind that piece of the waveform prior to the loop. Ableton eliminates it. Now, I get it...it's a loop and it's not going to play anything prior to the 4 measure segment. I'm just illustrating one of the challenges I have in working in ableton. Now, I suppose I could make a one measure segment for that fraction of beat 4 that connects with the four bar segment, or if it's in the middle of a tune, track that beat 4 fraction in the prior waveform.
The reason I associate it with the "mix" stage is because, stuff like that isn't really a big deal when playing live. I can just do without and no one hears it. However, when working with a mix/master that will be available for streaming or distribution, this is something I need to workout.

Same with pickup beats, etc. Same principle at least.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 pm

If you recorded it, it's there. Just stretch the front of the clip to the left. If I remember correctly, Live does start recording early if you use a count-in, so it should be there.

toddincharlotte

Post by toddincharlotte » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:29 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:08 pm
If you recorded it, it's there. Just stretch the front of the clip to the left. If I remember correctly, Live does start recording early if you use a count-in, so it should be there.
That's a good point. I'll check on that. It would be awesome if you could overlap segments like that...in other words, Segment A, Segment B, Segment A is 8 bars, Segment B has a pickup and starts playing on beat 4 of bar 8 of Segment A. I'm not sure it's available now but maybe down the line. Especially if you could specify play only on first run, etc.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:46 am

You can only overlap by using separate tracks, but you can turn the grid off and set the starts and ends of all of the clips basically down to the sample. Unless you’re really looking to overlap, this works great. You can also pick between takes in the loop.

Live is actually clever as all get out. Once you’re used to it you can do everything you want, just not in the way you may be used to sometimes.