Suite 9 to standard 10? Downgrade?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swett

Suite 9 to standard 10? Downgrade?

Post by swett » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:34 pm

If I update my 9 suite to the standard 10, will I be loosing some goods along the way? Is it a downgrade?

Slowly thinking Catalina.

TLW

Re: Suite 9 to standard 10? Downgrade?

Post by TLW » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:01 pm

See https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/ for the difference between Live 10 standard and suite.

Yes, you probably will lose some things if you go the the standard edition. M4L for a start.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:27 pm

"Some goods"? You will lose MOST of the goods, like 2/3, and that's without counting the M4L stuff.

It is a huge downgrade.

Your old Suite projects may not open.

Presets/Packs you bought may not open.

Even some samples are DRM'ed and won't load.

Did you even bother checking if there are Suite devices and samples used in any important projects? You should do that before downgrading, not after.
♥♥♥

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 pm

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you retain the 9 versions of devices you already own in Suite when upgrading to 10? The main difference is that you do not get the new 10 Suite content. This would include many packs and some devices. As for M4L, I actually do not know the situation. I’d assume that since you own M4L that is also carries over. But this is a trickier concept since there have been some changes in how Live and M4L interact and the overall software within that (though it is now simpler). I think again, it’ll be a point of only having the previous pack of M4L devices available to you, but not the latest version.

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:05 am

OK, what I said was not entirely correct.

If you have Suite 9 and "upgrade" to Standard 10, what I think it happens is that you have both those licenses in your account, linked (probably named "Live 10 Standard (Upgrade)".

With it you can install Suite 9 and Standard 10, at the same time.

So technically you don't lose the Live 9 Suite stuff, you can still use Suite 9 stuff in Suite 9 (for obvious reasons), but the Suite-only stuff won't open in Standard 10, AFAIK.

Hopefully someone who did that (Suite 9 to Standard 10) can tell you with 100% certainty what happens.

[EDIT:]

The upgrade for Suite 9 to Suite 10 is $224, the "upgrade" from Suite 9 to Standard 10 is $172 (current 25% off sale prices).

Even if you could retain the Suite 9 stuff, I don't think it is worth to skip Wavetable and Echo to save just $52.

Wavetable alone costs $159 and Echo can't even be bought separately.
Last edited by pottering on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
♥♥♥

Davo

Post by Davo » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:50 am

If you are thinking of Catalina then it is of no use to still have Live 9 Suite on your system, because you cannot use it. That would be a downgrade.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:30 pm

I think you can still buy Max for Live as a separate product so that non suite users can still access it.

Whether or not that still applies I don’t know now, but that should cross over to Live 10. Of course the Ableton licence team will be able to answer this question.

Which ever way you look at it though you will loose the instruments and some effects. All of which are useful, that I for one should be using more and have started to with Wavetable drawing new attention to Hybrid rack beasts.

As the saying go’s ‘Better to have something and not need it, than need something and not have it’

Pretend suit is just the full version :wink:

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Gregory Wells-King wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:30 pm
I think you can still buy Max for Live as a separate product so that non suite users can still access it.

Whether or not that still applies I don’t know now, but that should cross over to Live 10. Of course the Ableton licence team will be able to answer this question.

Which ever way you look at it though you will loose the instruments and some effects. All of which are useful, that I for one should be using more and have started to with Wavetable drawing new attention to Hybrid rack beasts.

As the saying go’s ‘Better to have something and not need it, than need something and not have it’

Pretend suit is just the full version :wink:
That's definitely my wife's philosophy.

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:57 am

Yeah I know.

‘ Welcome to Big Market’ :D

‘It’s practical and decrotive’ :D