2 MIDI Controllers, 1 Track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
movax

2 MIDI Controllers, 1 Track

Post by movax » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:11 am

Greetings --

I need to know if it's possible to take 2 MIDI inputs (such as a USB keyboard and a USB drum pad) and control a single track with both at the same time (in session view).

Thank you very much!

zsazsa

Re: 2 MIDI Controllers, 1 Track

Post by zsazsa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:03 am

Yes it is.
You can choose 'any midi input' so all controllers trigger that one track. I always forget to change that :lol: so I trigger drums when playing keys (because the drumtrack listens to all input)

movax

Post by movax » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks, I figured "All Ins" was the answer (instead of selecting 2 specific controller inputs.)

So, if I have multiple Synth tracks that I want to control this way, they will all respond to both the controllers simultaneously if the Monitoring is set to "In".

Is the best practice then, to set the synth tracks to "Auto" monitoring, then use the Arm button to only play one at a time? (This is in a live performance setting.)

I have it working this way but I'm not sure this is the correct practice. Thanks and sorry if this is too basic.

TLW

Post by TLW » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 pm

If I din't intend to record to a track I don't arm it but set monitoring to "in". That way I avoid accidents.
Live 10 Suite, 2014/15 MacBook Pro 15.3” Retina i7, OS Mojave 10.14.5. RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.