Analogue synth and midi clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kisnou

Analogue synth and midi clips

Post by Kisnou » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Hello,

I am having problems with my Minilogue XD on Ableton.
Everytime I record a midi clip, in ableton, ableton records how I move the knobs and all the other parameters on my synth, which is fine and how it should be.

The problem is that, if I didn't like how I moved those knobs of parameters (but I want to keep the midi notes), when re-recording (without rewriting midis, so with overdub enabled), I move the knobs on the synth but they don't overwrite the previous knobs recording, instead the mix and overlap together creating a mess.
I tried removing all the recorded midi cc parameters in the clip, but it still happens.
For example, in the first recording I registered a pitch bend.
Then, in the second overdub recording, I would like to reset the knobs signals to start over, while keeping the midi notes. Instead, what happens is that the pitchbend does not go away. It remains there, same as cutoff and other parameters, even if I change patch on the synth. As you can see from the picture, there is no automation whatsoever on the midi file. But whenever I overdub the midi, to avoid pressing all the keys again, the sounds seem to repeat the knobs movements, like if all the midi signals are still there, somewhere.. I create another midi track, copy and paste the midi, same.
It seems like the knobs settings get registered in the midi notes themselves and there is no way to clear them, while keeping the notes.

And, for the record, I don't want to change patch to fix it as I would loose my progress on that patch on the moment. And even if I save that patch, change patch and go back to the original one, the midi clip is the problem, not the synth.
This is quite annoying! I can't find a solution..

gross9978

Re: Analogue synth and midi clips

Post by gross9978 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Have you checked to see if you recorded the automation on the XD itself? I don’t have one but Im pretty sure it has motion sequencing like the og one did. If you copied the midi notes and pasted them into a new clip it’s not coming from Ableton.

Kisnou

Post by Kisnou » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Hmm that is something I had not thought actually.. I will check if the XD can clear that type of automation!

dreary_ennui

Post by dreary_ennui » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 am

Question! How exactly are you recording the Midi automation? I just got the Minilogue and am trying to actually record the knob twiddles. Struggling. MIDI seems to be set up properly.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 am

dreary_ennui wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 am
Question! How exactly are you recording the Midi automation? I just got the Minilogue and am trying to actually record the knob twiddles. Struggling. MIDI seems to be set up properly.
you should start a new thread.

when you twiddle the knob does the little indicator in the very upper right corner show activity? check you sysnth's settings for CC send on/off
is REMOTE set in the midi settings? do tracks show midi activity when you twiddle a knob?
sounds like you can record midi notes but not knob movements, right?
do ANY little red squares appear on controls in CLIP view?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dreary_ennui

Post by dreary_ennui » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:41 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:41 am
dreary_ennui wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 am
you should start a new thread.

when you twiddle the knob does the little indicator in the very upper right corner show activity? check you sysnth's settings for CC send on/off
is REMOTE set in the midi settings? do tracks show midi activity when you twiddle a knob?
sounds like you can record midi notes but not knob movements, right?
do ANY little red squares appear on controls in CLIP view?
After some playing with it looks like what is happening is two part: a) I was expecting this to be automation, but is stored in the MIDI clip itself as clip envelopes and b) having a hard time sending out these things if I modify the settings on either the synth or in Ableton.

Now I need to figure out why I'm having problems sending back out to the synth. Have tried CC8 and have the MIDI map from Korg. Got to the point where CC8 will show a twiddle on the screen when I twiddle on the synth, but I can't seem to make the screen twiddles change the parameters on the synth. Not expecting knob twiddle on synth itself (though that would be cool) but the changes in Ableton don't reflect on the Minilogue XD, only the other way around.

Seems to be very similar to the thread I'm posting in so I didn't really see the point in making a new thread. If I'm breaking some rule or missed an Minilogue owner's thread, my b