Monitor through iPhone speaker?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
porter321

Monitor through iPhone speaker?

Post by porter321 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 am

Apparently Cubase has something called “Studio Pass” that lets you monitor the computer audio output through your iPhone. Does anyone know how I can do this with ableton? Would really love to be able to check mixes on the phone in real time without having to bounce down first.
iMac Pro 18-core, 128Gigs Ram, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Pro Tools 2018, Push 2, Universal Audio Arrow, hundreds of plugins. Ex-programmer/associate producer for Narada Michael Walden. www.soundcloud.com/porter321

jlgrimes

Re: Monitor through iPhone speaker?

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:40 pm

porter321 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 am
Apparently Cubase has something called “Studio Pass” that lets you monitor the computer audio output through your iPhone. Does anyone know how I can do this with ableton? Would really love to be able to check mixes on the phone in real time without having to bounce down first.
Have no idea but one thing I do is use a very cheap pair of PC speakers. Like a $10 pair of speakers. Probably will be similar to monitoring on an iphone or TV.

It actually helps because it helps takes away the ears natural focus of bass and highs and you start to be able to better assess your midrange.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:33 pm

+1 on the cheap ass PC speakers aka Grottboxx. Here you hear what it sounds like in a normal world where people don't use luxery Hi Fi and/or monitors........
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Next to my GrottBoxxes, I have a pair of decent sounding Presonus Eris E8 monitors....... I do not use the Grottboxxes solely.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:32 pm

miyaru wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:35 pm
Next to my GrottBoxxes, I have a pair of decent sounding Presonus Eris E8 monitors....... I do not use the Grottboxxes solely.
Definitely.

It is always good to have a full range monitor set (what I typically mix on most of the time), but the crappy speakers are a great alternative monitor set and often will reveal stuff about your midrange that can be hard to hear on you full range speakers where you can get "information overload" from all of the detail they spit out.

It probably would be bad to mix a song on the crappy speakers and not listen to anything else (as then your mix probably wouldn't translate well on a "good" system) but they are great for letting you know if your mix is "translating" to a crappy system.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 pm

porter321 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:43 am
Apparently Cubase has something called “Studio Pass” that lets you monitor the computer audio output through your iPhone. Does anyone know how I can do this with ableton?
I’ve not tried it, but I think connecting the phone with a lightning cable then opening the Audio/MIDI setup application and activating the phone as an audio device should let you use it as the outgoing (or incoming) interface in Live’s preferences. This method certainly works for tracking iOS synths into Live from my iPad.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

Farküs One

Post by Farküs One » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:06 am

I do this in ableton using Audreio app on my iPhone and it’s vst in Ableton. It lets me monitor playing an electric drum set with zero latency. Nothing else I have tried works as well. And is a way to wirelessly send whatever is heard on a track or any number of tracks from ableton to Audreio to your ears :). Drums with no latency, wirelessly is amazing/was hard to accomplish