Beatstep Pro won't send MIDI after playback

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital Larry

Beatstep Pro won't send MIDI after playback

Post by Digital Larry » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:00 am

Here's the setup.
  • Ableton Live 10 Intro
    Arturia Beatstep Pro fw 2.0.1
    I am using the XLN Addictive Drums plugin.
Right after I start the BSP, it will send MIDI from the buttons when I have the Drum Sequence selected.
I have the BSP connected via USB to my Windows 10 PC,
The BSP is set to "USB" sync.
Now I press "Play" in Live.
The BSP sequence appears to play back (the lights are flashing), but no MIDI is received and of course nothing is heard.
I can stop playback and the buttons on the BSP flash when I press them but nothing happens in Live.
If I power cycle the BSP then I can again get MIDI and sounds from pressing the buttons.
I also have an Arturia Keystation 32 which is connected via USB and it plays the Addictive Drums fine from the keyboard, as well as the arpeggiator triggering AD when I start playback in Live.

Also will probably ask over at Arturia forum.

jklinger

Re: Beatstep Pro won't send MIDI after playback

Post by jklinger » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 pm

Have you heard anything back regarding this? I am having the same issue.

jaytriana

Post by jaytriana » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:02 am

Hey I’m still having this problem October 2020 and it comes and goes. I can’t replicate it but when it starts happening it does so until one day it just stops happening.

It’s fucking maddening.

virtualreverie

Post by virtualreverie » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:25 am

I'm having this problem in December 2020 and can agree it's maddening. I think I'm gonna have to sell this piece of kit because I can barely go a half hour of using it without issues

virtualreverie

Post by virtualreverie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:19 pm

Bump. I've resorted to listing my BSP for sale precisely because of this issue. There doesn't seem to be any answers anywhere. I have the exact same setup minus the plugins.

scruffyfox

Post by scruffyfox » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am

Having the same issue except the BSP isnt syncing with ableton at all. Hitting the drum pads sends notes fine but its just not syncing with ableton's clock...

for a $500 software, I expect much better.
i9-10850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4 3600mhz, RTX 3070

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:19 am

scruffyfox wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am
Having the same issue except the BSP isnt syncing with ableton at all. Hitting the drum pads sends notes fine but its just not syncing with ableton's clock...

That's down to you to setup gear properly. Not an Ableton problem, more user error
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

tomdread

Post by tomdread » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Having this issue today Monday 18 Oct 2021.

I'm on a Mac Mini M1, Live 11 Intro and routing the Beatstep's midi through an MIO XM.

After play back Ableton Live doesn't see the midi coming in to the system. However the MIO XM is seeing the midi and passing it to the Mac Mini. All my other DAW's are seeing the midi and MIDI Loupe is also logging the incoming midi.

The Beatstep is behaving as it should and still syncs to Live's midi clock.

This is surely an issue with Ableton Live.

Never had an issue like this with Reaper or Logic while using the Beatstep.

tomdread

Post by tomdread » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:21 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:19 am
scruffyfox wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am

That's down to you to setup gear properly. Not an Ableton problem, more user error
This did not help anyone… Thanks for your input :(

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:52 pm

I've continued to face issues with the BSP and they sound a lot like what others have reported. I've had the BSP for a few years and it didn't really change my life in terms of how I make music because I mostly play the guitar and make guitar type music.

I think it may be time for the BSP to find a new home.

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm

Well, here we are a few years later and I didn't sell the BSP. Main reason, I really like the randomize feature and it's easier to use (fewer options, and per-step knobs) than the Push 2 but I use that also.

I'm still having trouble where the playback via USB to Ableton works for awhile, then stops. The MIDI in indicator of Live 10 flashes but the messages don't reach the tracks they're supposed to be triggering. Reset the BSP and the pads work again, but not playback.

It would be great if there was a way to monitor the MIDI data from the BSP inline before it gets to Live. I do have MIDI-OX but I've never tried to do this.

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Update, I may have found the answer!

What would happen was that I'd record one pattern and then the BSP would NOT trigger sounds in Live. The MIDI activity monitor would flash, but nothing would come into a channel, even with "all inputs, all channels" selected. If I power cycled the BSP then it would work again for a small period of time. I tried using Live's Max MIDI monitor but it absolutely refused to display what types of messages were coming in. When I hooked the BSP directly to MIDI-OX I could see that it was sending short sysex messages in addition to MIDI clock. I guess those are MMC? MTC? I went into the BSP settings to try to turn all that off but that thing is ferociously complex and I don't think it made any difference.

What seems to prevent this is to TURN OFF ALL SYNC INPUTS when using Live as the timing master. I think I figured I would leave some sync inputs on, in the event that I wanted to use them. I think that I found that Live, when trying to sync to external, kinda does a rubber-band thing until it settles down, which isn't all that great. Perhaps the BSP was in some sort of feedback loop, I really don't know.