Volume of exported file

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jihxe

Volume of exported file

Post by Jihxe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi, I can't seem to change the volume of my final exported file. I have tried changing the volume of the master track and also each individual track, (arrangement view) but when exported it's still quieter than I would like.
Is there any way to fix this?
Thanks

jonljacobi

Re: Volume of exported file

Post by jonljacobi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm

Do you have the normalize option turned off when you export?

Jihxe

Post by Jihxe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Yeah I've tried that but it's still the same volume :/

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm

jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm
Normalize doesn't necessarily make things louder, it can often make things even quieter :wink:

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:21 pm

Jihxe wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:35 pm
Hi, I can't seem to change the volume of my final exported file. I have tried changing the volume of the master track and also each individual track, (arrangement view) but when exported it's still quieter than I would like.
Thanks
Quiet as compared to what for example? Obviously you can simply turn the volume up on your listening device / player.

However, if you are trying to match levels to released or other "mastered" tracks, then you will need to look into using and understanding (very important) master EQ, compression and limiting techniques along with what are Peak, RMS and LUFS volume levels.

I would start with the basics like this Ian Shepherd's video and to read up on the terms and tools you see in the video.
(I recommend Ian's videos for beginners and advanced users, he has great tips)

Mastering: How to make a song louder in mastering - and the price you pay

For the EQ, compressor, and limiting you can use Live's EQ-8, compressors and limiter. You will need to get a VST plugin for the metering part - Live doesn't have a meter for some unfathomable reason.

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Da hand wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm
jonljacobi wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm
Normalize doesn't necessarily make things louder, it can often make things even quieter :wink:
Yes. But that’s not his issue.

Jihxe

Post by Jihxe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Da hand wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:21 pm
Jihxe wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:35 pm
Thanks
Quiet as compared to what for example? Obviously you can simply turn the volume up on your listening device / player.

However, if you are trying to match levels to released or other "mastered" tracks, then you will need to look into using and understanding (very important) master EQ, compression and limiting techniques along with what are Peak, RMS and LUFS volume levels.

I would start with the basics like this Ian Shepherd's video and to read up on the terms and tools you see in the video.
(I recommend Ian's videos for beginners and advanced users, he has great tips)

Mastering: How to make a song louder in mastering - and the price you pay

For the EQ, compressor, and limiting you can use Live's EQ-8, compressors and limiter. You will need to get a VST plugin for the metering part - Live doesn't have a meter for some unfathomable reason.
Yes I'm trying to match it to other mastered tracks. I did have a feeling there wouldn't be a simple solution :lol: thanks very much for the help and recommendations :)

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 pm

I just tried exporting with the fader at -6 and at 0 on the master track and there was no difference. The users guide describes export as post-fader so I find that a bit odd. When I put a utility on the Master track and reduced the gain, there was a drop in volume. This despite having the "Include Return and Master FX" option off. In fact, that option was grayed out.

Maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm missing a lot.