[OT] Cleassic movie, The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mikemc

[OT] Cleassic movie, The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

Post by mikemc » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:59 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045464/

If you've never seen this, it's great. The Live 5 hand promo reminded me of this, it it's a conicidence it's perfect and if it's a wry reference it's brilliant.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

telekom

Post by telekom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:44 pm

Yeah mike, groovy movie. It's very trippy...
And it's got the longest keyboard in the world ! Forget your 25 key controllers !

:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:52 pm

As long as were off topic, I just finished watching solaris... talk about about a disturbing experience in time-space stretching! Great soundtrack too.

telekom

Post by telekom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:55 pm

...OK well while we're OT, I'm going OT a bit more... Morvern Callar is an amazing film - made in Scotland, starring the incredible Samantha Morton, and with an awesome soundtrack including Aphex Twin, Can, Lee Perry...
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:11 am

I saw "Doctor T" when I was a kid, when it first came out (I'm almost 60). Scared the living crap out of me... I think my parents regretted having taken me (they were very hip for the time, but nightmares are nightmares). I've seen it a couple times since on video, and it didn't make me curl up into a fetal position on the floor, so I guess I got over it. Really weird shit in it. The instrument ballet in the dungeon is so totally campy, and there's something slightly unsavory about some of the scenes between the kid and the plumber. There's a certain look in the actor's eye that leads me to think that he didn't exactly dig what the director was making him do...

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

sergeastorms67

Solaris music

Post by sergeastorms67 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:03 pm

As long as were off topic, I just finished watching solaris... talk about about a disturbing experience in time-space stretching! Great soundtrack too.
Lofa, that soundtrack to Solaris is really cool!!

It's a guy called Cliff Martinez. He did the music for 'Traffic' as well.

His sound reminds me of William Orbit perhaps having a really moody day!!

I thought the film was interesting but a little dull. It's re-make of a russian film(i think) that was made ages ago. I haven't seen it though.

telekom

Re: Solaris music

Post by telekom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:58 pm

sergeastorms67 wrote:
It's re-make of a russian film(i think) that was made ages ago. I haven't seen it though.
Yeah, made by Andrei Tarkovsky. Haven't seen that one but his others including Nostalgia and The Sacrifice are AWESOME...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:37 pm

No this was the original 1972 Russian film I am talking about. At times it was hard to sit through (all I want to do is mess around with 5) but the music was particularly atmospheric and original for it's time. Sort of remminiscent of clockwork orange, but more like a precurser to droning, early SKinny Puppy intros.

Meffy

Post by Meffy » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:27 pm

Dr. T: One of the greatest works ever from Dr. Seuss, a wonderful artist who is NOT just for youngsters. (Most of his work was done well before his first book for children.)

Solaris: The original Russian adaptation is the ONLY filmic version, IMO. Better even than that, read Stanislaw Lem's book on which the film was based (and which the makers of the newer imitation apparently held in contempt). Lem is another treasure, though a highly abrasive one to be sure.
HP Pavilion a1034n, stock - Win XP Home - P4 3.0 GHz - 1Gb RAM - Intel 900 graphics - M-Audio Firewire 410

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:18 pm

Your on Meffy, I'll check it out. I assume there is no redeaming value to the remake so I'll pass on it, unless I find some value googling it's soundtrack.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:40 pm

Meffy wrote: Solaris: The original Russian adaptation is the ONLY filmic version, IMO. Better even than that, read Stanislaw Lem's book on which the film was based (and which the makers of the newer imitation apparently held in contempt). Lem is another treasure, though a highly abrasive one to be sure.
Anybody who hasn't read Lem's "Cyberiad" is doing themselves extreme injury.