OMFG! David Hasselhoff does a House Track.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
New Yawkah

Post by New Yawkah » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:24 am

I completely see your point, but the point I was making is that he only recognizes a small portion of his life- he is around 35 years old, and never mentions the other 4/ fifths of his upbringing, and uses brooklyn as a "gimmick" to make him sound more "street". You on the other hand mention the whole picture and explain how it affected your perception and shaped your way of thinking, but you do not hide the fact that the majority of your life was spent in the suburbs. Thats respectable, and I definitely agree that the tender years have a profound affect on a persons outlook. And another thing, I am absolutely not saying that musicians who were raised in citys as opposed to the suburbs are any more talented or have anything better or worse to say within their music, the styles are just sometimes different. The main point is that I was trying to make is that he purposely omits a major portion of his upbringing in his bio and his interviews because he must think it may not afford him that- again- "street creds" he seems to be so desperately seeking. Again, honesty is the first step towards honesty...

Peace.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:20 am

New Yawkah wrote:paaleeeease! DJ Peter Presta? He lived in Brooklyn til he was 6 or 7 years old- than daddy made some money, so they moved to the suburbs. Not exactly a kid from the city streets... Stop frontin! He's from the suburbs of long island- Seaford to be exact. 99% white upper- middle class suburb. NOT THE STREETS OF BROOKLYN as he claims. He comes from way upper-middle class money, and it reflects in his Mr. Softie beats. It's ok to come from the suburbs, but don't brag and boast about being from a borough! Be honest about who you are and be honest in your music! Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent there, it just pisses me off when people are ashamed of there background. My cousin went to high school with this guy, and I actually met him a few times, and he is total suburbs, and he should just admit it, embrace it, and get on with his life! His suburban friends feel shunned! But give him credit- skills wize, he is a great DJ- he can cut and scratch like nobody's business, just he has a softcore production style- hence making a mix for Hoff...

That's really funny - on a side note.
Here in Melbourne (Australia) th rule of thumb is this.
The closer to the city you live the more middle to middle upper income bracket you are.
I have bad memories of being only able to afford rent in AscotVale in the late 80's and having to catch the Broady line home from work at 11 at night :( .
Got bashed by a gang once @ Broadmedows after falling asleep on the last train on a Saturday after work :( .
Infact I had to go up that way several weeks ago.
My highlight of getting out of the station was passing a bunch of Lebanese home'boyz :roll: and their very friendly bunch of rabid pitpulls in the carpark :evil: .
Bunch of feral tossers and the vocabulary didn't stretch much past , fag , bitch , cunt and fuck as far as I could tell.
Outer suberbs in the south east / north / west and nortweat inparticular can get a bit hairy at times though nowhere near as bad as 10-15 years ago.
We don't have "ghetto's" in inner city areas for th most part.
Some outer suberbs are absolute inbred feral shitholes though.
I'll take you don too the Pines (Frankston Nth on a Friday Saturday night some time ...... very educational 8O ).
And if I get one more dealer asking me "if I'm chaising" the nest time I go get a train I'll scream.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:46 am

forge wrote:
New Yawkah wrote:paaleeeease! DJ Peter Presta? He lived in Brooklyn til he was 6 or 7 years old- than daddy made some money, so they moved to the suburbs. Not exactly a kid from the city streets... Stop frontin! He's from the suburbs of long island- Seaford to be exact. 99% white upper- middle class suburb. NOT THE STREETS OF BROOKLYN as he claims. He comes from way upper-middle class money, and it reflects in his Mr. Softie beats. It's ok to come from the suburbs, but don't brag and boast about being from a borough! Be honest about who you are and be honest in your music! Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent there, it just pisses me off when people are ashamed of there background. My cousin went to high school with this guy, and I actually met him a few times, and he is total suburbs, and he should just admit it, embrace it, and get on with his life! His suburban friends feel shunned! But give him credit- skills wize, he is a great DJ- he can cut and scratch like nobody's business, just he has a softcore production style- hence making a mix for Hoff...
up to 7 is quite a while to grow up somewhere - it definitely affects your outlook - I grew up in a really shitty poor area till I was 8 and it definitely had an effect even though we moved to a better suburb at 8

so that is a slightly unfair generalisation, you dont know what the geeza saw before they moved.

Not that I'm in any way defending it cause I havent listened to it or even have a clue who you're talking about, just answering what you said

All you can do is take his word. NYC was used to be one dangerous,Fucked up, eclectic place. Now it's just chain stores, NYU, and tourism.

Yeah man, you lived in brooklyn when u wuz 6 yo, but I'm from the hoods of brooklyn heights... :roll: I promise you more people got robbed in the good neighborhoods than the shitty ones anyway. NYC was like an ocean- there could be sharks anywhere AND EVERY KID WITH HALF A MIND KNEW IT.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:08 am

New Yawkah wrote:I completely see your point, but the point I was making is that he only recognizes a small portion of his life- he is around 35 years old, and never mentions the other 4/ fifths of his upbringing, and uses brooklyn as a "gimmick" to make him sound more "street". You on the other hand mention the whole picture and explain how it affected your perception and shaped your way of thinking, but you do not hide the fact that the majority of your life was spent in the suburbs. Thats respectable, and I definitely agree that the tender years have a profound affect on a persons outlook. And another thing, I am absolutely not saying that musicians who were raised in citys as opposed to the suburbs are any more talented or have anything better or worse to say within their music, the styles are just sometimes different. The main point is that I was trying to make is that he purposely omits a major portion of his upbringing in his bio and his interviews because he must think it may not afford him that- again- "street creds" he seems to be so desperately seeking. Again, honesty is the first step towards honesty...

Peace.
I do know what you mean, does sound like a bit of a bandwagon jumping claim - trying to get some kind of street cred from that, but then I guess at least he really did live there for some of his life (so at least it's not a complete lie!!) - and that most likely means going to infant/primary school with some hard cases until they got out of the area!

New Yawkah

Post by New Yawkah » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:16 am

btw,
Brooklyn Heights is currently the most desirable part of Brook- can't touch even the smallest home for under $750,000.00 these days. And apartments, a studio or small 1 br starts at around $2,000,00 per month. When I was growing up in the late 70's, It was not a good neighborhood really. If only I bought one of those 2 story brownstones for around 90G's at the time, there getting around 2 mill now! I guess all citys go thru cycles. Look at harlem! It used to be the standard for all ghettos, and now it's the envy of neighborhoods all over the world. It's full of deep history, art, music, particularly it's historic contribution to American Jazz, and it has the world famous Apollo Theatre! Yea, I guess all citys go thru cycles...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:18 am

That is exactly what I was reffering too. I am so sick of the roll your eyes icon, we really need some sarcasm tags! What good is it talking about the gentrification of new york without sarcasm tags!

Anyway, I posted my fececious retort to your post before I realized you had already raised my own reservations to your logic. We are on the same page, and boy do I wish I had one of those buildings too.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:18 am

Hasselhaus.

k

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:56 am

dirtystudios wrote:Hasselhaus.

k
:roll: And i thought it was the british that liked to pidgeonhole everything.

The Hoff wn't be pinned down like that! He likes to remain fluid, like a mulletted manta ray.