performing a song live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kebabman

performing a song live

Post by kebabman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi there

I produce electronic music that I am organising into different sections that I am planning on performing in Live using a launchpad.

I'm having difficulty prepping my live arrangements for Live performance.

I have watched videos showing how to use the loop brace in the arrangement view and consolidating these to new scenes in session view. This works well with short audio drum loops etc but I can't work out what to do with longer sections of audio.

Some of my tracks contain speeches that I want to be able to include in this consolidation. In a 4 minute song, I may have as single wav file of a speech that I am trying to consolidate to the arrange view.

This really messes up the triggering of scenes as they are coming before or after the beat.

Can a long spoken word speech be split mid word or am I asking too much of digital audio?

What should my quantize settings be for triggering loops in 125bpm dance tracks? Do I adjust quantize in preferences, global at the top of the page or for individual clips? I want to be able to launch a scene maybe 3 or 4 seconds before I want it to actually play.

In summary, things are triggering fine but as soon as I try and chop up a 3 minute clip it all goes wrong!

Many thanks in advance.
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

aseemsuri

Re: performing a song live

Post by aseemsuri » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:59 pm

On the longer speech samples you could put it as one long clip on the beginning scene where you want to trigger it and then remove the stop buttons on empty clipslots below where you want it to keep playing.

kebabman

Re: performing a song live

Post by kebabman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:34 am

Many thanks for your reply.

I haven't tried it yet but I can see that this will definitely work. The speech starts at the beginning before any loops etc come in. I saw a video about this and like you say, remove the stop buttons.

After posting yesterday, it then occurred to me that I hadn't actually chopped up the speech yet and this may have been causing triggering problems. I did this but it wasn't always working properly and I thought there has to be an easier way.

Also, I have some soft synth noises that trigger ahead of some of the drum loops - these also seem to be not triggering correctly. I could render this as a single loop and again use the removing strop buttons trick.

I haven't tried this yet but I know it will work.

A huge thank you for the great advice!
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...