Cant See What Im Recording on Piano Roll

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djlovestruck

Cant See What Im Recording on Piano Roll

Post by djlovestruck » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:23 am

I just upgraded to ableton 10. Im able to record midi just fine but as soon as I press record the piano roll goes off and it says no clip selected. Even though it was selected before pressing record. This has never happened to me before and it's a little frustrating. I really want to be able to see the piano roll while recording but it just disappears out of no where. Is there a certain setting or a button i have to activate in order for me to fix this. I hope im making sense here.

Julia123

Re: Cant See What Im Recording on Piano Roll

Post by Julia123 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm

Hmm. I just checked and it does that in both 9 and 10 for me. It would be really nice to do what you are trying though.

If you are trying to read what you've recorded and 'punch in', you can duplicate your track, view the original, and record on the new, then edit them together. PITA but it gets the job done.
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Binetron1

MIDI notes being recorded while viewing Piano Roll (MIDI overdub) not functioning properly

Post by Binetron1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 am

Same issue here. Was working fine a few days ago. Now the piano roll grays out when pressing the record button and says "No clip selected" even though the clip is clearly selected.

Just upgraded to version 10.1.18 Build: 2020-07-31 etc. Mac OS 10.14.6

To be clear, while in the arrangement view, the piano roll feature usually scrolls along accordingly to what you are playing, and you can visually see the notes being recorded in real time. This is no longer functioning properly.

Note: when recording a new clip in the session view, it works correctly. However it then disables itself upon a second take within the same clip. So we can no longer view the new midi notes being recorded on top of the existing midi notes (midi overdub).

Side note: I suspect there may also be a bug in the MIDI arrangement overdub button feature (+), as sometimes it functions correctly and sometimes it will record destructively while enabled.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Cant See What Im Recording on Piano Roll

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:08 am

Please report this to support@ableton.com if you’re sure this isn’t working anymore.
But just to be sure, you have the follow Arrangement button active, right?
Regarding your side note: yep there’s a bug happening sometimes in this area, it’s known. Usually switching OVR off and on fixes it.
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: MIDI notes being recorded while viewing Piano Roll (MIDI overdub) not functioning properly

Post by [jur] » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 am

Binetron1 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:10 am
To be clear, while in the arrangement view, the piano roll feature usually scrolls along accordingly to what you are playing, and you can visually see the notes being recorded in real time. This is no longer functioning properly.
Your talking about the midi clip in its Arrangement track, right?
Because, as far as I can tell, the piano roll has never been visible in Arrangement while recording midi (it's only in Session).
Ableton Forum Moderator

Splines

Feature request submitted

Post by Splines » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:24 am

Apparently, this is not possible at the moment. I've just submitted a feature request on Centercode with the number "L11-SUG-3103"
(title: Piano-roll visible while recording in arrangement view).
If you wish this feature was implemented, please go over there and vote for it, so that it attracts more attention among the Ableton Live developers.