Polyrythms running tracks simultaneously at different tempos

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delectric

Polyrythms running tracks simultaneously at different tempos

Post by delectric » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Hi I'm new Ableton live. I work with polyrhythms I need two features.

1 I want to change an individual track tempo so I have two tracks running at different tempos. So, for example, I have one track going at 180 and another at 120. This will give me a polyrhythmic beat of 3/2 6/4 etc.

2 I want a way to specify how notes are snapped/quantized in the clip grid so that polyrhythms can be created.

Hope there's a way.

S4racen

Re: Polyrythms running tracks simultaneously at different tempos

Post by S4racen » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Live won 't run at different tempos...

Cheers
D

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm

You can simulate this in various ways if you can’t simply play it in. By recording at different tempos, or using the stretch markers inside a clip.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:58 am

One example is:

Let’s say you want 5 notes equally divided in a bar.

You could make a midi clip longer than 5 eighth notes. Maybe 8 eight notes. Draw ‘reference my notes in five of those eighth notes. These shouldn’t be notes you intend to be in your melody. (Maybe even turn them ‘off’)

Then draw your melody within the span of those five notes. The reason you drew those five reference notes is so you can ‘stretch’ the clip after you’re done. Draw one more note after those five notes so you have 6. The 6th will be like an anchor, the ‘end’ of the loop will be where that 6th note starts. Highlight all the notes including those six notes. Then grab the marker that appears above the sixth note and drag it so it aligns with the end of the one bar, ‘eight eighth notes long’ clip. Those notes will stretch and conform such that they are now one bar, in equal divisions of 5.

Sounds like a hassle. But it’s a decent workaround. There are a number of other ways to accomplish these things. Just giving an example for when you’re in a pinch.