"World" Music

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:12 pm

telekom wrote:Hey Peeedrooo,
Cool heard the second track now as well, this stuff is great. What's the band called? Done any releases ?
an instrumentist that plays "donso n'goni" (it's a kind of low range harp with 6 strings on a pentatonic scale)
Is this similar to a kamelengoni ?

:)
the band is called DONSO (which means "hunter" in bambara, the language from Mali). about the releases, see my previous post.

donso n'goni is really close to kamelengoni, except that its range is lower, and the strings are made out of nylon (metal for the kamelengoni). these 2 instruments are usually played together, the kamelengoni acting as a guitar, and the donso n'goni as a bass.

this music from Mali is trully fascinating.

on the second track, try to focus on the bass line and drum pattern. i picked them up from a song of yoro dialo (i'm not african enough to create them myself...). see how they fit together. it's just a few notes and hits, but it's sooo effecient.

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:09 pm

Peeddrroo, very nice spirit, this band! I'm listening to the 1st track and i like it a lot! (ah, still too much bass? i'm listening with headphones now and it seems like...
anyway...) I'm from Paris too, and we're so lucky to have all this nice music from Africa (including north...). I'm also a big fan of Oumou Sangare, Toumani Diabate (incredible rythm shifts and variations!), ..., Mali rocks! So yeah, congratulations for putting up this band! All the best. I'm now on 2nd track, more Rhodes, and this singer showing more of his great singing,
strange vocal samples, another 6/8,... ah actually, it's not samples! it's the singer through a gate... interesting. So, how does communication flow as the "only white guy"? I used to play guitar ten years ago with Okassa, a highlife band (Ghana) in Paris, and sometimes i would really feel the "culture gap", but altogether it's been a very enriching experience. Anyway, all the best!
Personally, regarding Live and "World Music", i live in Okinawa, and there is this trio made of sanshin (shamisen, kind of 3 strings banjo like sounding instrument), gunderu (small Balinese gamelan), and bass. I just did 2 remixes for them with only Live, and it was a very pleasant experience. I used only sounds from their tracks, but processed them in many ways (lots of brickwall filtering, and using Waves denoiser, not to denoise but to get strange textures, with extreme settings... X-Noise is fantastic for this, a little bit like Ionizer), and thanks to Live, i was able to
mix and repitch elements from different songs. Live was really the perfect environment! So the result sounds pretty ambient, but with strictly the acoustic elements provided by GST (Gunderu Sanshin Trio). I will upload one remix on my page tomorrow, i just finished the tracks and have no time to do it now...
:::::::::

ADK?1QAR?Laptop/Live Suite/Bidule/Aalto/Surge/XILS3/Nano Kontrols/
ATH-M50/TascamVLX5/ApacCustomUSBFootController/+Guitars

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:03 pm

xuoham wrote: So, how does communication flow as the "only white guy"? I used to play guitar ten years ago with Okassa, a highlife band (Ghana) in Paris, and sometimes i would really feel the "culture gap", but altogether it's been a very enriching experience. Anyway, all the best!
actually, i'm not the "only white guy". thomas, who plays the n'goni is also white although he's spent some time in mali (thus the connection with the singer). so i don't feel that isolated!
and about the sound being too "bassey", well, i've done what i could about mixing. these are just demo tracks, i think one can feel the spirit of it, and one can feel too that WE NEED TO VISIT A PROPER STUDIO!!!!

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:12 pm

One can definitely feel the spirit of it! I regret i mentioned about bass because you already did, and it's definitely not the important point here...
:::::::::

ADK?1QAR?Laptop/Live Suite/Bidule/Aalto/Surge/XILS3/Nano Kontrols/
ATH-M50/TascamVLX5/ApacCustomUSBFootController/+Guitars

telekom

Post by telekom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:44 pm

This really is magic peedrrooo, yeah get into the studio if it makes more sense, but whatever you do don't let this sit on a shelf too long, the world needs to hear this. Listening to it again on a better system, it's just luscious. Personally I love lots of bass so I'm not too bothered by the low end, but I can see it needs a little balance. But really these two tracks are superb, I'd love to hear this kind of thing in a live setting.

There's a great balance of really soulful instrumentation and voice as well as the very subtle and entrancing electronics. Got any more !!!??? :):):)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

m-laboratories.net

agreed

Post by m-laboratories.net » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:54 pm

peedro, your track is fantastic.

where can we get more of your tracks stuff, or similar music, with fusion of electronic and traditional instrumentation, without being cheesy????

telekom

Re: agreed

Post by telekom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:12 pm

m-laboratories.net wrote:without being cheesy????
That's it m-lab, so much stuff that fuses these kinds of elements sounds cheesy. But this sounds soulful and direct and sweet.

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhh..... :):)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:38 pm

telekom wrote:Hey quandry,
The afro-beat tune is really cool, I like the kind of cheerful Bhundu Boys vibe. All done in Live? Superb. This is a great thread folks - keep it coming!
:):):):)
Why thank you Telekom! Yup, all in Live 2, with a few Waves C1 compressors and Rverbs here and there. "mastered" (by my ignorant self) in Live basically just using some Waves L2. Bhundu Boys--wow, thats a compliment, love them! In the midst of many DJ's and electronica artists being talked about, I constantly underestimate the breadth and depth of musical knowledge of peeps on these forums. Live brings a diverse crowd together. Definitely keep 'em coming people.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

bluedad

Post by bluedad » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:00 am

peeddrroo wrote:i have a band that's a blend of traditional music from Mali and electronic sounds. this malian music is quite trancey

edit: here's the new mix
and here's another song
that tune is just brilliant!
going to give the tune a listen as well.

raapie

Post by raapie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:06 am

peeddrroo: this is fantastic. are you livin' in Mali?

I am a huge Ali Farka Toure fan ;)
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

raapie

Post by raapie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:07 am

peeddrroo wrote:
xuoham wrote: So, how does communication flow as the "only white guy"? I used to play guitar ten years ago with Okassa, a highlife band (Ghana) in Paris, and sometimes i would really feel the "culture gap", but altogether it's been a very enriching experience. Anyway, all the best!
actually, i'm not the "only white guy". thomas, who plays the n'goni is also white although he's spent some time in mali (thus the connection with the singer). so i don't feel that isolated!
and about the sound being too "bassey", well, i've done what i could about mixing. these are just demo tracks, i think one can feel the spirit of it, and one can feel too that WE NEED TO VISIT A PROPER STUDIO!!!!
on my nearfields the sound is super sweet. natural dynamics which I like!
Marco Raaphorst

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:19 am

thanks again for the warm feedback. that's really nice and encouraging of you all.

comments like "without souding cheesy" really made my day, because to me it is the main pitfall. by the way, almost all electronic sounds come from operator (drums in impulse).

to be honest, all the projects combining african music with electronic sounds that i've heard before didn't really make it. it was more like oil and water: they don't mix up. not to say that i managed to do it, but i think it's a little bit closer to what i'd like such music to be.

marco: no i'm not in mali, i'm in pari

ok, so here's another track

now you've got half of my demo...

raapie

Post by raapie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:40 am

paris, I love! new track is great too. it's another great mix between raw african sounds and electronics. I love your music.

(maybe you want to listen to my latest track: http://dl.melodiefabriek.nl/mp3/Melodie ... g_snow.mp3 - a classical piece)
Marco Raaphorst

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:44 am

Nice track indeed M. peeddrroo. Let me know if you perform this live in Paris one of these days, I'd love to hear that. I live in Paris too....
Keep up the good work !

Raapie, I'm listening to your track right now, nice atmosphere. Was it done i Live ? What instruments do you use ?
It's kind of cinematic music, isn't it ? A bit short in my view, it could be more developped but you must know that already.

Regards,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

raapie

Post by raapie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:56 am

thanks Amo. that track was done in Reason3 using the included Orchester Refill. Live and Reason are my favorite tools. sometimes I only use Live, or only Reason, or sometimes a combination of the 2 ;)
Marco Raaphorst