Using AD2 Suite with Addictive Drums

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digital Larry

Using AD2 Suite with Addictive Drums

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:16 pm

I have Addictive Drums 2. Got a single kit with SONAR years ago and decided to stick with it.

I found this tool that a guy wrote: https://www.soundsuite.nl/ad2-suite/

For integrating Addictive Drums nicely into Live with a bunch of cool features.

I followed the instructions, but right at the point where it says:
Installation

To start using AD2 Suite, unpack the .alp file somewhere in your User Library, or in one of your custom folders in Live’s Browser. From here you can easily access the project file, unfold it, and import the entire Drum Rack channel with AD2 Suite into your existing project.
I could really use a step by step instruction here.

There's a button to get help from the developer, and I did send my question to that person, but I do not think I received a response. Whenever you press the button it says "don't spam!" and maybe I sent it twice and he got mad at me, impossible to tell.

This looks very powerful and I would love to use it and will even donate to the developer if it works!

Thanks for any help.

DL

Digital Larry

Re: Using AD2 Suite with Addictive Drums

Post by Digital Larry » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:52 am

I did find this video which appears to be about AD2 Suite but I can't really tell what is going on.

At first he is showing how to set up a drum rack, I don't see AD2 Suite. About halfway through he opens a project that magically has AD2 installed and then starts talking about "maycrows" (took me awhile).

I will keep messing around with it and maybe try the video a few more times in small pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tKgivveJY0

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:25 pm

Then there's this which seems to be from the guy who wrote it but it's not a how-to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8t03_q3tx4

Digital Larry

Post by Digital Larry » Sat May 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Well I finally got this working last night with some measure of success.

I was thrown off by the use of non standard terms like "unpack it in your library". How about "drag and drop it into the browser area"! Seems cool although somewhat complicated. I might need to get a larger monitor eventually.

I have been using Addictive Drums for awhile in Live but have the following frustrations.
a) Note names not shown when working in a MIDI clip
b) Notes not auditioned by clicking on the vertical keyboard in MIDI clip (maybe this is a Live setting? seems bizarre not to be able to audition notes before you drop them in)
c) The actual drum kit may have multiple samples available, especially for snares, high hats, cymbals, etc. but these collapse to a single visual representation and internal mixer channel.
d) You can only use the built-in "delerb" FX in the internal mixer. I mean, it does get you a certain way down the path.

Next up, I have to turn on the Push 2 and use it with AD2 and try making an actual drum part. My drum parts tend to be very minimal as they represent the thing I play least well. I still have a DDrum DDTI and a kick pedal trigger and dual zone mesh snare, which I am still trying to figure out is a better way to do things than using the Push or keyboard. I had a full set of triggers from an old Ion kit (not MIDI) and it did work with the DDTI but, again, I couldn't really play it and don't have time to dedicate to becoming even a simplistic real time drummer.