Any new updates on using Live for film/tv scoring work?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gtripi

Any new updates on using Live for film/tv scoring work?

Post by gtripi » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 pm

Haven't posted here in a while, but I have a few thoughts on improving Live to do film/tv scoring work. Mostly things to do with the video window. Would love to hear any other ideas, or work arounds for these quirks. Btw... I do use DP, Logic, ProTools, and VEP for scoring work as well, but nothing has ever felt more inspiring for electronic scores than the Live workflow.

• VIDEO WINDOW - It needs to stay open all the time. Just because we switch to another app for a minute, doesn't mean it needs to vanish. The rest of Live stays open, so why can't the video window? I use an external monitor (tv over hdmi) to display movies. And also, why does the video window always shrink and move back to the main display when any edge edits are made to the video track?

• TIMECODE - Live can display timecode on the bottom ruler, but there's no way to set the start time. Not very convenient if you work in multiple reels, and each reel begins at a new hour. Also... would be amazing if Live could spot to timecode (or any format actually).

• QUICKTIME SUPPORT - It just seems that a lot of QT codecs are very sluggish or unresponsive in Live. I understand that Live decodes video internally, instead of using the Quicktime engine built in to OS X. Would be great to see this get an overhaul.

- Greg

jestermgee

Re: Any new updates on using Live for film/tv scoring work?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:37 pm

Add to that the ability to select multiple clips on different tracks!

That is the most painful thing with Live when you create a scene that is 2 minutes long and then the director shortens it by 10 seconds and you need to now move hundreds of small edit files over many tracks 1 track at a time. It's insane and a clear indicator it was not designed for the task. Not sure why you cannot select clips across tracks :(