Setting APC 40 Mk 2 Device Lock focus when track is selected.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dsu

Setting APC 40 Mk 2 Device Lock focus when track is selected.

Post by dsu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:39 pm

I suspect that the solution is some Python scripting, but I'm not even sure if the API would support the functionality I am looking for.
Utilization Scenario
This is a situation for live performance, with the APC 40 serving as a mixer, clip launcher and effects controller. Some of the track have lots of effects and navigating between the various effect devices is cumbersome. The plan is to make an effects chain in an Audio rack and bring the 8 most needed controls out to the Macro controller. In performance if I want to change a parameter I select the track and use the bank of 8 infinite device controller rotary knobs on the APC 40 to make the adjustments.

This works so long as I confine myself to adjusting the macro controls on the APC 40.

Problem description:
Because I am greedy, sometimes I will want to dig in deeper in the effects change to adjust something. When I do this the macro control at the head of the audio effects chain is not longer selected. I forget this and try to adjust two parameters at once. But the encoder knobs on the APC-40 are no longer focused on the macro controller at the head of the audio chain the performance doesn't go the way I want.

Is this a solution?

The manual solution would be to select the track, check that the focus was on the macro controller which would be the first device in the chain and then engage the device lock button on the APC-40. I could then dive down the chain and make other adjustments know that the APC-40 is still focused on the macro controls.

Of course when I select the next track. I need to check focus was on the first device, engage the track lock. This sort of makes it difficult to relax and play instinctively.

What would be nice is if the selecting the macro controller and locking the device happen automatically when a track was selected. Is there an existing script that does this? How much do I need to learn to write my own script?

Thank you for your attention,

ds

Tone Deft

Re: Setting APC 40 Mk 2 Device Lock focus when track is selected.

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:08 am

dsu wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:39 pm
How much do I need to learn to write my own script?
you didn't mention max 4 Live, look into that. there's a forum for it and info all over this site.

there's a Live Object Model you can reference to get you there. it'll take you a few weeks to get up to speed and get the hooks into the API. ask the right SHORT question and someone might code something up for you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dsu

Re: Setting APC 40 Mk 2 Device Lock focus when track is selected.

Post by dsu » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Tone Deft.