Complete NOOB question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Code3

Complete NOOB question...

Post by Code3 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 pm

Hello all. I'm a complete noob to Ableton Live. In fact, I haven't played with a DAW of any kind for several years. I used to be a DJ in the 90s, but now, I just like playing with sound. I have a little bit of time on much MUCH simpler DAWs in the past, but decided to try my hand with Ableton. I've searched this forum a couple times and watched a ton of tutorials on Youtube, but none of them really show me what I want to see. If I could just find a video that shows me how to load a song, chop it up into a few parts, make smooth loops with those parts, and save the loops as a separate track, that would help me big time! The rest, I think I could just figure out from there. I'm not really looking to make music. I just want to play around with remixes, mashups, and sets based on BPM for cardio.

Can someone point me to a video/tutorial/article/anything to show me what I'm looking for? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

evon

Re: Complete NOOB question...

Post by evon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:50 pm

There are plenty tutorials around. Have you tried YouTube? Just do a Google search, I guarantee you will find what you want.
fe real!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:31 pm

It's probably more beneficial to just experiment and figure it out on your own TBH.

A hint will be to look into Warping and the different ways the warp settings affect the overall sound, then create a loop brace for your sample at the length you want, duplicate your clip and use the arrow keys to move the loop brace to maintai9n aq perfect loop segment. Rinse and repeat and you can chop up an entire song into perfectly looped segments within minutes.

There are also automated ways to do this but start with the basics and learn how that all works first.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 pm

obviously there are people here ready to help you, that's the best resource you can ask for. as you might be able to tell there isn't a go to youtube resource.

my advice to myself would be to go warp 100 songs and come back with questions. start with 50 four on the floor basic EDM tracks before going onto old soul music where the tempo varies.

ALWAYS leave the help box open and ALWAYS read it whenever you see new buttons. I've been using Live for years and still leave it open.

FWIW Live is designed with most everything on top of the GUI IOW there aren't buried menus.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:36 am

As mentioned above, warping is a perfect start. Gives you so many lessons on how to handle audio clips in Live.

I’d say take it a slight step further. Warp those clips and then try practicing doing live mixing with them in session view. Even if you only have two or three to start off with. That’ll get you amped up to keep at it.

If you have questions on particular things with warping, don’t be afraid to ask. Personally I suggest removing all warp markers then adding one on the first clear downbeat. From there, there are different methods you can take. You can attempt the warp from here method (I never use that, but Most people seem to try that first... try it out and see if it works out, should get you a warped clip that you can look at and learn from), or you can just try to line the audio up with the grid and ADD warp markers as you go.

Good luck!

gbert

Post by gbert » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:48 pm

The tutorials at Groove3.com are excellent. I’d sign up for a 7 day free trial and view the Ableton Live 10 Explained videos and see if that’s enough to get you going. Tack on a 1 month subscription after if you need more time to view the training there.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 am

Code3 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 pm
Hello all. I'm a complete noob to Ableton Live. In fact, I haven't played with a DAW of any kind for several years. I used to be a DJ in the 90s, but now, I just like playing with sound. I have a little bit of time on much MUCH simpler DAWs in the past, but decided to try my hand with Ableton. I've searched this forum a couple times and watched a ton of tutorials on Youtube, but none of them really show me what I want to see. If I could just find a video that shows me how to load a song, chop it up into a few parts, make smooth loops with those parts, and save the loops as a separate track, that would help me big time! The rest, I think I could just figure out from there. I'm not really looking to make music. I just want to play around with remixes, mashups, and sets based on BPM for cardio.

Can someone point me to a video/tutorial/article/anything to show me what I'm looking for? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Live while it does have a learning curve is a fairly simple DAW to learn.

For what you want to do the best areas to study are:

1. Warping

2. Session View.

3. Browser

4. Midi controllers

Browser is the easiest to figure out then Session View then Warping. Midi controllers can be a little difficult but optional and depends on what controller you end up with.

YouTube is your friend.

Also Live has a great Help system built in with Tutorials as well as an info section that explains every button.

Live also has a great manual as well.

djsinistral

Post by djsinistral » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:34 am

This is pretty good, and free if you don't need the fancy certificate at the end....

https://www.coursera.org/learn/ableton-live

Code3

Post by Code3 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:44 am

Forgot to come back here and thank you guys...but THANKS! A friend of mine showed me just enough to keep me busy, and since that and reading all your replies, I have spent countless hours just learning little things. MAN! What a BLAST! Thanks everybody!