using 2 macbooks with Live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kebabman

using 2 macbooks with Live

Post by kebabman » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 am

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I can't find the info I need...

I currently run the Live 9 suite on a MacBook Pro i5 2.5GHz with 8 gig ram and an SSD (525 gig) .

It works really well and I'm very happy with it. I get the very rare crash caused by Arturia's Jupiter 8 (v collection) but otherwise all is great.

I'm in 2 projects: one is solo electronica where I trigger clips with a Novation Launchkey and launchpad as well as playing the odd synth line (Arturia v collection).

In the other project, I play guitar with a drummer and perform space rock. I trigger sound effects in Live with a foot controller.

I have seen the same MacBook in a shop for £250. This got me thinking.....

Is having 2 identical macbooks useful?

How could I use these with my electronica? Should I trigger clips on one machine and use the other for playing my V collection synths? Could I have an identical back up machine in case of a crash during a gig?

I am starting to look into the visual side of things. Would having one machine dedicated to visuals be the way to go or would I load video into Ableton and do it all on one machine?

Having a second machine never crossed my mind until now...

many thanks
If I'm not there I'll cut my hair...

Mangrove

Re: using 2 macbooks with Live

Post by Mangrove » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:56 am

kebabman wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:49 am

Having a second machine never crossed my mind until now...
Hmmm,
me neither.
I mean 2 Macbooks.

But I'm using a Macbook Pro (on the road) in combination with a Mac Mini (studio).
I recently reinstalled my Macbook, took a backup with Time Capsule after installing all my musical tools and gear.
Then later I reinstalled my Mac Mini using the Time Capsule backup, to have nearly identical machines.

I wish there was a solution to both keep them up to date, but if one fails, I still have the other as backup.
Haven't tried using both at the same time tho, probably possible through Ableton Link tho.

Let us know if you ever go for the second macbook and share your experience.

Best regards,
M

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Hi Mangrove

Yes this also crossed my mind - having 2 identical machines in case 1 packs up at a gig.

Would all this be done by using time machine to copy all Ableton data and plugins to the second machine? I don't have to do all this manually, I can do it using time machine?

Many thanks

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:46 am

I do this all the time.

You would need a mio4 to split the midi to the 2 computers, then if one crash, you turn up the volume of the second computer, et voila! You are redundant

Our if you want to use 2 different sessions using two computers, just use link. That's what link is all about.
MBP 2015, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6
Live 9.7.6 Suite
Live 10.1.14 Suite
Soundcards : FF800, Apollo Twin duo

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:47 am

One thing to watch when gigging is the modern venue tends to have a very crowded wi-fi/bluetooth situation. All those phones out in the audience transmitting away can have unwelcome implications for reliable frequencies and bandwidth.

If you can connect the computers as a peer-to-peer network by ethernet cable that might be a good idea for reliability.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

kebabman

Post by kebabman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:56 pm

Many thanks for your replies everyone.

Lapieuvre, the only midi gear I currently use is a Novation Launchkey 4 octave midi keyboard (synth plug ins) and a Novation launchpad for triggering clips. These currently connect to my existing MacBook via usb.

Are you saying that if I have the 2 macs connected (mio4? ethernet cable?), I can have 2 identical instances of an Ableton Live set. Trigger a scene on mac A and it also triggers on mac B? Like you say, have the sound turned down on mac B and then whack it up if mac A crashes?

This sounds like a really quick way of getting out of a problem. No wasting time waiting for a second machine to boot. Can all this be done in theory using LINK so I don't need the mio4?....

As TLW says, ethernet connections may be the way to go with phones hogging bandwidth?

I've seen the machine today and it's an i5 2.4 gHz, only 4 gig of RAM rather than 8 gig. It also has an rpm HD. If my set was rendered as audio clips with tracks frozen etc, I'm hoping this slightly lower spec machine will be up to the job...

many thanks everyone