Take samples from vinyl and put them on ableton.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Vinyl sound

Take samples from vinyl and put them on ableton.

Post by Vinyl sound » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Hello people,
I have a big library of vinyl records and want to take sample clips from them and put them on ableton,
How would i go about doing this please?
Thanks.

Re: Take samples from vinyl and put them on ableton.

Post by 102455 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:13 pm

Do you not know how to use Google?

I just got over 800,000 results by using three key words...

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:11 am

Vinyl sound wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:05 pm
Hello people,
I have a big library of vinyl records and want to take sample clips from them and put them on ableton,
How would i go about doing this please?
Thanks.
You will need a record player..

Depending on what type of record player you have you will also need a phono amp, a special amp for record players which a typical DJ Mixer should have. Some newer record players are USB.

From there you would record song like recording any audio file into DAW, Crop audio and save.

Vinyl sound

Post by Vinyl sound » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:34 am

Sorry, maybe should of explained more,
I have decks and a mixer set up, my mixer has no usb connection for my laptop nor does my decks.
So just needed to know if there is a way to connect my deck to the laptop,
And using google samples, you don't get the same quality as a piece of record vinyl.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:23 am

What is your laptop? WHat inputs does it have? I assume you have no audio interface for your laptop (a USB one with connections specifically for this type of thing)? That would be what you want to look into.

Vinyl sound

Post by Vinyl sound » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:48 pm

Just got usb connections on my laptop,
Yes, looks like an audio interface is the way forward,
Is the Scarlett focusrite any good,
Or do you know of cheaper better ones?
Cheers.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:39 pm

Focusrite Scarlett is great.

TLW

Post by TLW » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:54 pm

The Scarletts are very well regarded in their price bracket. The Focusrite Clarrett range has better pre-amps and is more expandable through good ADAT support but costs more.

As for cheaper than the Scarlet, there are a few options but to be honest that would be looking at the price range where a small amount of money can make quite a difference in performance and quality of the hardware and its drivers. Where these small interfaces are concerned to see much of an improvement you’d probably need to look to something like an RME BabyFace which costs quite a lot more.

If you’re using a Mac or PC with a socket for the microphone you might get away with connecting that to your mixer. Trouble is that PC mic preamps tend to be noisy, especially on lower-priced laptops and motherboards.

If you use a PC and MIDI controller with Live and play software synths with it the Focusrites have the advantage of quite solid ASIO drivers which would reduce the latency experienced between playing a note and the sound emerging from the computer. You may also see an improvement in latency if you use a Mac - native Core Audio drivers are pretty good, but there are better ones made by good hardware manufacturers.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.